Excel online vs. Excel desktop features

I'm an experienced Excel user (desktop version). My co worker recently brought Excel Online to my attention...looks very interesting. 

2 questions I haven't been able to find answers to:

1) Can you create pivot tables in Excel online? I couldn't locate the functionality anywhere, so I assume not. If its not there, what other features are missing?

2) Do spreadsheets online work like google docs, in that multiple people can view, edit and save them seamlessly?

Lastly, is there an easy to read document that details the differences between the 2 versions (online vs desktop)? Many of Microsoft's documents that attempt to explain this are long and cumbersome. Just looking for something concise. 

Answer
Answer

Hi Max,

Q1:

We cannot create Pivot table using Excel online. I know it would be better if we can do this. I suggest you submit your feedback via Uservoice, this is the best way to perfect our service. Thanks for your understanding.
However, the Fields List for a PivotTable report works in a browser window similar to how it works in Excel. This means if we created a Pivot table in Excel client and upload it to SharePoint, we can still edit it in Excel online and change the data that is displayed in a PivotTable report.

Q2:

Yes, we can open and work on the same Excel workbook with others at the same time.
For more information:
Collaborate on Excel workbooks at the same time with co-authoring

Q3:

To learn more about the differences between Excel Online and the Excel desktop app, see Differences between using a workbook in the browser and in Excel. And this is the official article about the different between them.

Regards,
Linda

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 23, 2020 Views 11,428 Applies to: