Excel Mail Merge Issues - missing data

I am trying to pull data from Excel into a Word doc report using mail merge. It all works well, but I notice that not all the data in the cells is being pulled though and there appears to be no logic to it. I have checked if its the amount of characters/words in the cell and that doesnt seem to be the problem. Could it have osmething to do with the amount of characters in a row/column or the worksheet as a whole? Any other ideas?
Hello Katy,

Thank you for choosing Microsoft Community and posting the question.
From your description, I understand that you’re unable to successfully perform mail merge from Excel data.

I will assist you with this issue.

Let’s try the following steps and verify the result:

1) Try using different Excel data base and verify the result.
2) Try creating/using Access or Outlook database and see if it helps.

Ensure that you have followed all the steps specified in the following MS article while performing mail merge:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/word-help/use-mail-merge-to-create-and-print-letters-and-other-documents-HA101857701.aspx   

I hope the above information helps. Reply with the result for further assistance.

Thank You.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Microsoft Engineer,
I have the same problem and hope you can help.
There's no solution for this?
Thank you,
De

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What EXACTLY are you trying to do and what is missing?
Graham Mayor (Microsoft Word MVP 2002-2019)
For more Word tips and downloads visit my web site
https://www.gmayor.com/Word_pages.htm

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a similar issue where I try to merge longer paragraphs of data into word and some are cut off.  All of it is in the cells in excel, but only some of it is missing in word.  The length of the data does not seem to be the issue since some of the longer text comes through while others do not.  Using office 365.

Don

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This may be related to the same issue we had regarding mail merging between Excel and Word on Office 2016 (Office365 version) when using Win10.... it doesn't work properly and we eventually got MS to tell us this:

"With regard to your main issue, the engineering team have advised me that this is a service wide bug and that currently we are advising people to use the mailmerge addin that was suggested by a previous agent. They were able to confirm that a bug has been created about this issue but due to the nature of the problem they were unable to provide a timescale for this to be completed."

CORRECTION... in my case the problem related to the first record in the excel spreadsheet needing to have at least 255 characters in the relevant mail merge field. Otherwise Word treats the field as a 'text' whereas it needs to recognise it as 'memo' which allows more than 255 characters.

However the previous comment is still true... just not about this particular issue of missing data!

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

CORRECTION... in my case the problem related to the first record in the excel spreadsheet needing to have at least 255 characters in the relevant mail merge field. Otherwise Word treats the field as a 'text' whereas it needs to recognise it as 'memo' which allows more than 255 characters. 

Thank you! This was extremely helpful with my problem. In my case, I added a dummy record with the letters a-z listed 10 times (thus having 260 characters) in each field that I wanted to be considered a memo field. Worked like a charm. 

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 4, 2021 Views 6,737 Applies to: