Excel locked cells with different permissions for different user groups

We're using Microsoft Teams and sharepoint to collaborate on excel files and we need to selectively lock certain cells in our spreadsheets.  We need one level of access that allows a small group to edit everything and we can individually assign these permissions to the specific people.  The next level is we need to have specific columns editable by an entire Teams/Sharepoint group.  Then finally have the entire document locked but viewable to everyone else in our organization.

I'm unable to figure out how to assign "Allow Edit Ranges" permissions to a sharepoint group or individual sharepoint users.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Hi Patrick,

Welcome to the Answers community.

We understand you want to give edit permission on specific cells to certain users and I suppose you want to use Allow edit range option, as show below.

If you use this method to lock certain cells, the individuals accessing the workbook online (in SharePoint or Teams) will not be able to edit the workbook, all the cells will be locked even the cells which are allowed for editing.

Based on your requirement, to lock specific cells, I tried the method mentioned in the following article and then shared the workbook, when opening the workbook in browser, I was able to edit the unlocked cells, when I tried to edit the locked ones, I received the following message.

Lock or unlock specific areas of a protected worksheet

I’ll suggest you please try the method from the article, check if this works for you.

Regards,

Neha

-----------
•Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.
•Please let us know if this is helpful and if the solution worked for you, as it can benefit others who are facing the same scenario.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm sorry if I'm missing something, but that article says to use the "Allow Users to Edit Ranges" settings, that's the guide I used in the first place.  We already have files that are mostly locked but have editable cells for everyone, that works fine.  Now I need to have different levels of editable ranges for different groups of people.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for replying.

To give specific users permission to edit ranges in a protected worksheet your computer must be in a domain. To give permission, you must enter the names of specific users.

May I know where exactly, at which step you are stuck? This will help us understand your scenario.

Regards,

Neha

-----------
•Please let us know if this is helpful and if the solution worked for you, as it can benefit others who are facing the same scenario.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm able to set up the highest level permissions with full edit access since I can find those users in the "Enter the object names to select" box, but I can't find the sharepoint groups to set up the limited range edit permissions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the information.

We understand you would like to add SharePoint Groups in the "Enter the object names to select" box.

The SharePoint groups are specific to SharePoint sites, whereas in "Enter the object names to select" box, we can enter the user’s name those are added to the domain. As SharePoint group are not added to domain, we can’t enter SharePoint group name directly to give permission. In this scenario, we have to enter individual names.

If you need any other help related to this topic, please don’t hesitate to post back.

With sincerest regards,

Neha

-----------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, so what's the procedure for granting select range permissions through sharepoint?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Patrick,

File stored in SharePoint online follows the permission level of the site. We can share an entire file and give permission based on the permission group such as full control, edit, contribute etc.

In Excel for the web, you must have noticed there is no Allow edit range feature, there are only basic options, so it won’t be possible to add SharePoint Group to Allow edit range.

Based on the fact, there are two options that comes to my mind, in both the cases, you should Excel desktop application:

1. In the "Enter the object names to select" box, add individual users. You can add the users specifically those are the part of the SharePoint group.
  2. You may be able to add permissions as an AD group. Create an AD group similar to a SharePoint group, add the newly AD group to "Enter the object names to select" box.

Kind regards,

Neha

-----------

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 5,315 Applies to: