Excel Function =Hyperlink() opens file in TrueView instead of AutoCAD

I'm developing an Excel spreadsheet that uses variable cell formulas to create a hyperlink to one of several AutoCAD files.  Ex. Cell A1 text is "folder location\"; B1 is variable text "filename.dwg", with value based on spreadsheet calculations; and C1 function is =hyperlink(A1 & B1).  Clicking on the hyperlink should open one of several files in AutoCAD to allow the user to copy, modify, etc.  The specific filename in cell B1 is a variable based on design parameters pre-entered elsewhere in the spreadsheet.

The Issue:  Instead of opening the file in AutoCAD, the hyperlink opens in TrueView, which does not allow editing.  I've read similar posts which explain how to resolve this with hyperlinks attached to objects (dwg, jpg, etc.), but none that directly address hyperlinks that are created by the function "=hyperlink()."  Suggestions?

DWG file associations are correctly set to acad.exe.  Based on technical and forum research to date, this does not appear to be a file association issue.

Windows 10; Office 365; Excel 365; AutoCAD 2016; DWG Trueview 2019.

Hi husky_9,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We might need to do more testing regarding this matter and we will post back here as soon as there is any update.

Regards,
Justin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi husky_9,

Based on our test using Excel version 1812 (11126.20266), AutoCAD 2019 and DWG TrueView 2019, we didn't encounter the same issue on our end and the hyperlink works perfectly. The .dwg file will open in AutoCAD 2019 upon clicking the hyperlink.

Since you are using AutoCAD 2016, this could be an issue on the said version and not with Excel. You can try to right-click the file and select Open with > Choose another app. Select AutoCAD Application and tick the box next to "Always use this app to open .dwg files".

Furthermore, if the issue persists, we suggest posting your query in AutoCAD community to get expert help.

Here are some threads we found to get you started.
Hyperlink File associations for AutoCAD and TrueView
Excel 2016 opens dwg object in DWG TrueView
Why opening in TrueView (not AutoCAD)?

Your understanding will be much appreciated.

Regards,
Justin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the quick response, although it's a bit disappointing.  If it's not an Excel issue, then it may be related to the order in which AutoCAD and TrueView are installed.  I'll investigate that.

Regarding your recommendation to right-click and select Open with... etc. and then tick the box next to "Always use this app to open .dwg files," I had already tried that.... several times.  In fact, I had exhausted all normal ways to associate DWG with AutoCAD, but nothing has worked.  And that's why I posted on the forum.

One thing to note:  If I either double click the file in Windows Explorer, or if I click on a hyperlink in an Outlook email, the DWG file will open in AutoCAD.  But if I insert the same hyperlink in Excel, Word, Access PowerPoint, etc. then the file opens in TrueView.  Somehow, it's beyond just the =hyperlink() function.

Thanks for the additional thread references.  I had already read through at least one prior to my original posting, but I'll look at the others and see what I can glean from them.

Thanks again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi husky_9,

We apologize for the inconvenience. We will be glad if we can help you further on this, however, supports and users in AutoCAD Community might have more ideas about this issue and they can give better solutions.

Thank you!

Regards,
Justin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As an FYI, one of the links you provided was to my original query on the Autodesk forum, where I had asked the same question.  Here is their response:

"A known Excel issue, not a Windows files association issue, start with the tips offered here and try searching that community forum for additional things to try https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2007-excel/how-to-change-the-program-that-op...

And so... I posted in the Microsoft forum.  Your test apparently confirmed that it's not an Excel issue, and you've pointed me back to Autodesk.  I'm currently "dead in the water," so to speak.  However, I suspect TrueView has hijacked file associations in the registry.  Perhaps I'll just find a workaround....

Thanks again for your help.   JLB

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 2, 2023 Views 1,358 Applies to: