Excel for Mac - Data Types not showing up under Data Tab

Cannot find 'Data Types' under the Data tab in Excel for Mac version 16.48. I go into preferences and 'Ribbon & Toolbar' and it looks like Data types is there but it almost looks like I need to click the circle to select and it won't let me do that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to use the 'Geography' data type on a list of zip codes so that I can insert a map.

Answer
Answer

Hi KateyNelson,

I go through your post carefully and as per your description, in Excel for mac you are unable to see Data Type (Stocks and Geography) under Data tab.

I just tested from my side in Excel version 16.48 (21041102) and it seems work fine for me. See my test image below for your reference. 

Since your Excel version of Office 365 apps is up-to date on Mac OS. As the missing “Data Type” issue can be caused by different reason, I will appreciate you can try the normal troubleshooting steps 1 by 1 below and tell us the result.

1.Go to Excel > Preferences > Privacy and make sure Connected Serves is enabled.

2.Try to reboot Mac in safe mode and determine whether background programs are causing the issue. For detailed information, please check this article.

3.Have you ever installed any add-ins for Excel? If so, please disable them.

4.Since, you mentioned even “'Ribbon & Toolbar' and it looks like Data types is there but it almost looks like I need to click the circle to select and it won't let me do thatanother suggestion is to remove the Office folders from Containers folder in Library with following steps.

a: Completely quit all Office apps

b: In Finder, press COMMAND +Shift+g.

c: Enter ~/Library and click Go

d: Go to Containers folder, find the folder called com.Microsoft.Excel

e: Move this folder to your desktop by cut&paste .

f: Relaunch Excel for Mac application and see the results.

If above suggestion does not work, to narrow down your issue, please tell us more information below to let us help you:

1. Please confirm if the issue only happens in the specific Excel file? Or all files.

2. The version of Mac OS.

Find out which macOS your Mac is using

I appreciate your patience and understanding.

Best Regards

Waqas Muhammad

• Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 9, 2024 Views 7,269 Applies to: