Excel for Mac 16.22 opens multiple files upon startup

[REPOST] excel for mac 16.22 macOS Mojave 10.14.3 I've searched and searched the internet and these forums yet still am unable to resolve multiple files opening at startup. There's no warning, no errors just 8 workbooks opening every time.... And I close Excel properly every time. very frustrating to say the least. Thank you in advance for your assistance

Tried using MSFT option of www.got-it.ai............... what a joke.. complete waste of time... Hoping someone here can assist.

Oh and so we can bypass the usual questions and support scripts... 

1. Yes I've closed all files properly.

2. no this didn't result from a software crash

3. Yes I've uninstalled and installed ALL of office due to the fact that you don't have options to fix/repair one office suite as is the case in windows.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Dear SHAM,

Thanks for your updates in the private message and we have received your video. 

As we have received multiple users reporting the issue currently and the issue still happens in the original user profile even the new user profile doesn't have such issues, after investigation, Excel will automatically open files because of the following reason(s):

1. The files are not saved correctly and recovered by the AutoRecover feature in Excel. The AutoRecover folder is located in /Users/<username>/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Excel/Data/Library/Application Support/Microsoft.

You can try and check if there are any unused files located there that you can delete.

2. The files are located in a startup folder referred in Excel > Preferences > General > at startup, open files in....

3. The Resume feature for MacOS is turned on (MacOS > System Preferences > General > Close windows when quitting an app).

If you have checked three of the following and they are all OK, then what you are experiencing is not an expected behavior. In this case, we encourage you to report this to the related team via in-app Feedback, so that they will be aware of the issue on the affected user profile on your Mac.

Best Regards,

Cliff

[Updated by  Cliff  MSFT  at 2:57 AM, 21 February, 2019]

* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps, as it will be beneficial to more community members reading here.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm not sure which version OS you're using instructions for but the path for item 1 does not exist.

System preferences /general do not have the option as written.

Current Excel 16.24 -190306 

MacOS Mohave 10.14.3

I was able to temp fix by deleting all files that were starting up when starting excel. but now that I open more files it does the same as before by opening all recently opened files.

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear SHAM,

Thanks for coming back with your updates.

As we have received many users’ reports about this issue, we suggest you report this to the related team via in-app Feedback so that they will notice the issue on the affected user profile on your Mac.

Best Regards,

Cliff

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps, as it will be beneficial to more community members reading here.

Sorry this didn't help.

Let me get this straight...

You responded to my issue. You suggested fixes that might solve problem. Now that I report back that your solutions did nothing you're essentially telling me to start over by posting my issue with another MSFT team.

It's probably just me that is irritated at this point. If you were going to just shift me off, why didn't you do that in the first place?

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear SHAM,

Thanks for your updates here.

The points I listed above are the possible reasons causing the behavior you are experiencing in the Excel 2016 for Mac application. Based on the updated information you provided, the behavior you are experiencing seems not to be an expected one. As in-app Feedback is the best channel to contact our related team directly and help you further on this issue, I suggest you try the way.

Meanwhile, as you have updated the version of the Excel 2016 for Mac application to Fast Insider, I also move the thread to the corresponding category for you to see if the community members and the engineers there can provide some other suggestions on this issue.

Best Regards,

Cliff

Sorry this didn't help.

You mentioned in a previous reply that the path Cliff asked you to check doesn't exist. At what point does the path stop for you? As noted in the help article linked in his previous reply, the AutoRecover folder is hidden, so you can't navigate to it by going folder to folder unless you have enabled the option in the OS to show hidden folders. You need to copy/paste the full file path in, replacing <username> with your own username.

-Jesse

Sorry this didn't help.

[REPOST] excel for mac 16.22 macOS Mojave 10.14.3 I've searched and searched the internet and these forums yet still am unable to resolve multiple files opening at startup. There's no warning, no errors just 8 workbooks opening every time.... And I close Excel properly every time. very frustrating to say the least. Thank you in advance for your assistance

Tried using MSFT option of www.got-it.ai............... what a joke.. complete waste of time... Hoping someone here can assist.

Oh and so we can bypass the usual questions and support scripts... 

1. Yes I've closed all files properly.

2. no this didn't result from a software crash

3. Yes I've uninstalled and installed ALL of office due to the fact that you don't have options to fix/repair one office suite as is the case in windows.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

I tried all the options listed on here non-worked for me 

What did work was 

https://superuser.com/questions/1281860/excel-for-mac-keeps-trying-to-recover-autosaved-files

"If you have Office 2016 go to /Users/[your User directory name]/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office and delete MicrosoftRegistrationDB.reg file. Just in case make sure you have your MS ID or Office 365 subscription info."

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 23, 2020 Views 2,623 Applies to: