Excel filter not working, extra rows appearing

I have excel spread sheet with about 300 rows (200,000kb); no math formulas. When I ask it to filter, I get rows appearing that should not appear based on the filter. I tried selecting the rows and columns of the entire sheet and then selecting filter but that doesn't fix the problem. I tried selecting the columns and then applying filter and that didn't work.  I tried sorting to mix up the rows and then using the filter and that didn't work. I tried closing the spreadsheet and reopening. There is no other filter turned on.
Answer
Answer
Glad you figured it out.
Another solution is to select the entire range to be filtered, prior to engaging the filter.  If you have more than one cell selected in the autofilter range, excel will use the selection vs. the currentarea.
Ron

81 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Since you don't give us any information as to how you are filtering, and what the data looks like, I am only guessing.  My guess is that due to cell formatting, you may think you are applying a certain filter, but not really doing so.  For example, if you want to filter out all cells that contain the value ten (10), and you set a number filter of "not equal to 10", a cell that looks like it contains 10 might really contain 10.0000000000001 but only be displaying 10, due to either formatting or column width.  So you might expect to not see it, it would appear and would comply with your filter conditions.
Ron

34 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 16, 2021 Views 122,151 Applies to: