Excel Crashing: Faulting module name: mso20win32client.dll

Hello,

I have constant crashes for Excel. It all started suddenly and it happens on two different computers (one a PC the other a laptop).

I have tried quick repair, online repair, uninstalling completely using the diagcab tool. Nothing works. The crash appears when doing simple tasks such as editing a chart, scrolling or selecting a cell. It happens in various files. I have also disabled all add-ins and it still happens. Below the error:

Faulting application name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 16.0.11029.20108, time stamp: 0x5c0b39a9
Faulting module name: mso20win32client.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5c099da4
Exception code: 0x012a168b
Fault offset: 0x00000000001ea7b3
Faulting process id: 0x5a98
Faulting application start time: 0x01d492335c963195
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\EXCEL.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Office16\mso20win32client.dll
Report Id: 0ce00505-d17d-4703-9ad3-62452c74****
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Thank you!

[private message is removed by forum moderator]

Question Info

Last updated October 11, 2019 Views 9,963 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi All,

Thanks for all the provided information, your time and efforts during these days. We'd like to share a summary for the issue here which will benefit other community members.

Symptoms:

Office 365 for Windows apps crash frequently when we do any simple actions such as editing, scrolling or selecting a cell. The crash log in the Event Viewer shows faulting module name: mso20win32client.dll.

Workaround:

Run as administrator when you launch the apps.

Assessment:

This issue is caused by Sticky Password, the 3rd party conflict. Please place Excel in ''ignoring programs' within Sticky Password settings. You can get further help from Lamantine Software to see whether they will update a fix.

Regards,

Rena

[Updated by Rena Yu MSFT, 02:20 Jan 7, 2019(UTC)]

-------------------------------------------------
If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

29 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Update

I received a reply to my post about this Excel crash in the Excel/Windows 10/Office 2016 forum (same thread title as this one). The poster suggested that Sticky Password (SP) may be causing a conflict that crashes Excel. I made the necessary settings change to SP - making an entry for Excel.exe in the 'Ignored Apps' section. After testing this change, removing it and then reapplying it, I can confirm that Excel no longer crashes for me when running Excel as normal (i.e. not as Administrator). However, on this forum I doubt many of you will be running SP, but it may indicate another 3rd party program may be involved. I had been running SP for quite some time and it had never caused an issue with Excel, or any other program I run, so I'm not sure what started these crashes towards the beginning of December. I'm raising this issue with Lamantine Software, producers of SP, hoping they may be able to see why a conflict appears to exist.

17 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.