EXCEL 365 Ribbon text size

Hello,

can anyone please shed some light on HOW TO MINIMISE the Ribbon text size??

I accidentally clicked on some keys, and really don't know how to go back to the original Ribbon size. I'm not talking about showing tabs and commands, I am talking about REDUCING the size of the Ribbon text! 

The grid, the cells, and the rest working area seem to be fine, but the Ribbon itself (e.g. Page Layout, Add-ons, Cell Styles, Format, etc.) has become disproportionally larger!

Please?

Thank you

George 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi GeorgiosAthanasiou,

I want to isolate the issue for us to pinpoint the exact concern. Is this issue specific to Excel office app only? Have tried opening other office apps and check if the same problem occurs? Kindly check this article: Customize the ribbon in Office to gather more information about personalizing the ribbon in Office apps. Please take note that it's possible that the settings of your PC's display resolution might have been changed because it’s indicated in the article that it’s not possible to change the size of your ribbon, or the size of the text or the icons on the ribbon. To change the font of the menu bar you can follow the screenshot below for a step by step instructions on how to do the process.

If the issue persist, feel free to update the Office suite and check if the issue will be resolved. If after updating the Office app and it's a no go, you can repair the Office suite through this link.

If you have further questions, simply reply to this thread and I will respond back as soon as I can.

Bob

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

My Excel just updated, and it made the ribbon bigger and all the icons on the ribbon bigger, so it takes up even more of my screen space.  It's only Office products, not the rest of my computer. I HATE it. I don't have poor eyesight, and I don't need so much wasted space on my computer!

My computer (Windows 10 64-bit kept updated) does not have "Display" on that list in the control panel, and when I go to the display preferences via the desktop, there is no option to change font size. I think that would be for all programs, though, not just Office products. 

I suppose I need a computer with a higher resolution to make everything smaller... but I don't know why programs are assuming that none of us still have 1366 x 768 monitors!  I am getting so frustrated by everything assuming I have a small screen and I want everything huge. I keep almost everything scrolled out to 80% or something like that, but I cannot find any means to scroll the menus out on Word and Excel so they are still visible all the time but not taking up 20% of my screen space.  

Look... the ribbons take up 25% of my screenspace, and my laptop won't go to any higher resolution. Please tell me there's some way to shrink the ribbon icons so it only takes up 10% of my screen space instead of 20% of it! 

ETA:  Here's my feedback link in the MS Feedback hub for anyone who wants to upvote it. I specified that Windows does not any longer have the option to shrink font size on menus like Bob here seems to think it does.
https://aka.ms/AA3pqcs

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Checking the notify box...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Bob,

I'd like to thank you for the very detailed explanation! 

I followed your advice and done everything that you suggested. I updated the Office suit and then repaired the Office suit through your link (https://support.office.com/en-US/Article/Repair-an-Office-application-7821d4b6-7c1d-4205-aa0e-a6b40c5bb88b).

However, the issue persists! The Ribbon text size remains large, as it was before! Really don't know what's happening. The only thing I guess to do is to uninstall the Office and re-install it from scratch, do you think so?

Thank you very much anyway for your detailed info, it really was very informative and crystal clear...

George 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Kathleen:

I totally sympathize with your concerns. I have much the same problem on my laptop, PHAT ribbons and more and more web pages with the same sort of "disease".  When I have the money, I plug in a 42-49" 4K monitor to my laptop. MUCH better!

MS "improved" those control options out of Windows 10. We no longer have that fine control. 

You can work around to recover a little of the control using 3rd party tools like WinAero Tweaker

Change Icons Text Size in Windows 10 – Winaero Tweaker

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/19768-change-icons-text-size-windows-10-a.html

This article includes downloadable registry hack files.

https://winaero.com/blog/tootip-text-size-windows-10-version-1703/ 

This article includes instructions to do manual registry hack

Also recommends Winaero Tweaker tool. I have used it in past.

The problem with these tweaks is that they affect diaply of all programs, not just Office.

You should also submit Feedback directly to MS about this concern

Send Feedback to MS Developers: Launch Feedback Hub via  <WIN><F>

“Official” MS does not pay much attention to this forum. However, you now can send your complaints and feature requests directly to MS developers and managers using the “Feedback” process described in this link:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/send-feedback-to-ms-developers/506e7654-8ced-405b-911e-c58d8f253069

Please post a share link to your feedback, back here, so other people who find your question will be able to vote for it and add their comments to it.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You are welcome. Before you uninstall and reinstall the Office suite, let’s make sure that the concern does not involve any Windows issue. I just want to verify if you have changed the font of the Menu bar by following the instructions on the screenshots above? If you encountered confusion with the screenshot, it’s my bad, let me give the instructions once more.

1. On the Windows 8 desktop, Click on the Search field.
  2. Type Control Panel on the search field.
  3. On the Control Panel page, Select Display.
  4. On the Display page, look under: Change only the text size.
  5. Click the arrow as encircled on the screenshot above, Change it to Menu bar. Make sure that the font size is set to 11.

Please perform this set instruction for Windows 8 and check if it will help solve the issue. You can use the screenshot above to serve as your reference.

To notify us, simply respond to this thread.

Bob

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Using the Mouse/Touch control will help some.

Switch to Mouse mode.

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Bob,

I can verify that I have done everything you said about Windows 8 font size; have tried to change them through the Control Panel/Display etc. but to no avail. The Excel Ribbon still lives at its heights!

What I've done is uninstalled the Office completely. No more Excel for now. However, I'm thinking of becoming a monthly subscriber in the near future and thus, install from scratch the Office suite...

From what I've come across, the problem seems to occur AFTER you update the software! Which means if one gets the Office suite and installs it, as I did, all seems to be fine. However, once you update the suite (as I did out of carelessness, I admit it), the Ribbon gets bigger! Don't know what is going on but in all likelihood this is what is happening at the moment... 

Thanks again for the detailed and sincere advice

George

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What I've done is uninstalled the Office completely. No more Excel for now. However, I'm thinking of becoming a monthly subscriber in the near future and thus, install from scratch the Office suite...

From what I've come across, the problem seems to occur AFTER you update the software! Which means if one gets the Office suite and installs it, as I did, all seems to be fine. However, once you update the suite (as I did out of carelessness, I admit it), the Ribbon gets bigger! Don't know what is going on but in all likelihood this is what is happening at the moment... 

Going 365 will NOT fix this problem for you.  365 forces all updates automatically, you have no control over them.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Forgive me for the late reply. I will try to isolate the issue further by replicating your concern for me to achieve that, can you please provide the the build and version of the Office suite that you currently have?

We'll wait for your response.

Bob

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 25, 2024 Views 7,485 Applies to: