Excel 2016 no more fonts

Good evening, I have a very boring problem and I don't know how to get out of it.

I have many excel files that I use for work, connected with various formulas, it has become practically impossible to work with, I have already tried multiple versions of Excel (2010/2013/2016) but I always have the same problems.

When I press F2 on a cell that contains a formula or double click I get the error "No More New Fonts may be Applied in this Workbook", the problem appears only in cells with formulas, even if they are stupid formulas like a trivial subtraction.

I tried to remove all cell formats but the problem persists.

Turning on the internet I saw that the problem has always existed on Excel, at least for 17 years and who had it never solved it, there was a KB from Microsoft but it doesn't exist anymore, about Auto scaling or something like that.

I can't understand how to solve it but I have to solve it because there are years of work in these worksheets.

I can also go to an empty cell, I write to it, I put a very simple formula = A1-B2 I give OK, it saves the formula and if it enters it it gives me an error again, if instead I create a formula of the type = 2-1 no problem.

Do you have any ideas to give me?

Thank you

Hi MarcoBonciolini,

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community Forum. Glad to be of help. When I tried to replicate the issue using Excel version 1908 (build 11929.20562 Click-to-Run), I’m unable to get the same results as yours.

Could you please verify is the issue only occurring in a specific file? If so, we can possibly conclude that this is a file related concern. Therefore, we suggest that you repair the Excel file and check if the issue will be resolved. Here's the link for your reference on how to do this accordingly. If the problem persists, recreating the file is the last option that we can advise. 

If this concern is also occurring in other Excel files, we can say the problem is with the application itself. Therefore, we suggest that you perform all primary troubleshooting steps to resolve this concern. Please follow each method below and get back to us with the results: 

Method 1: Install Office Update. 

1. Open Excel
  2. Click on File
  3. Go to Account
  4. Under Product Information, choose Update Options and click Update Now
  5. Once the updates completely installed, relaunch Excel and see if the problem occurs. 

Method 2: Open Excel in safe mode.

1. Press the Windows and R key on your keyboard simultaneously. 
  2. In the Run command, type excel /safe (include space between excel and symbol) and then click OK
  3. Once the Excel app opens in safe mode, observe the issue if it is persisting. 

If the issue doesn’t occur while in Safe Mode, then an add-in is likely causing it. To disable add-ins, please access this link and follow the steps under Permanently disable or remove an add-in

Note: To stop Office Safe Mode, just exit and restart your Excel application. 

Method 3: Repair Office program.

1. Right-click the Start button (lower-left corner). 
  2. Select Apps and Features
  3. Right-click the Microsoft Office program and select Change and then choose Online Repair
  4. Click Repair and follow the on-screen instruction to continue. Restart your computer and check if the concern is still occurring. 

Method 4: Uninstall and Reinstall Office program.

Uninstall Office from a PC

Download and install or reinstall Office 365/Office 2016 or Office 2019 on a PC or Mac

Please let us know the results by replying to this thread, and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello, thanks for your feedback.

I'd like to debug it, if a create a new excel file or if i open one of my file, i have no issue.

I know that these problems are related to these xlsx files.

I work with 16 excel files together, every file is linked to another one and some file have almost 100 workbooks.

Anyway i am within the limits of Microsoft ( https://support.office.com/en-us/article/excel-specifications-and-limits-1672b34d-7043-467e-8e27-269d656771c3 )

There is a Tool or an official method to find corrupt cell, i really don't know why i have these problem, i can't work anymore, sometime when i open my files appear that error, even if i just click on a cell.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for clarifying that the issue is related to your XLSX files. Therefore, repairing the workbook or recreating it as what we previously suggested is the only option that we can advise. Also, have you tried following the methods that we initially provided? By doing so, it will refresh the program and resolve any underlying issues within the Excel application that can possibly fix this concern.

Please reply to this thread to let me know how the issue progresses. Similarly, if you have more questions, please inform me by replying to this post.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

ITYFFFF

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you.
What do you mean with "repairing the workbook" ? How can i do that?
Now i'm creating new XLSX, i copy each workbook from old one and save with same name (i need to use SAME name because many formulas..) 

I hope it will fix.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The issue should be fixed once you have recreated your XLSX file. What I intended for repairing the workbook is if the data is corrupted, we can recover it by performing a repair. Here’s the article for the steps on how to do this accordingly. 

Please let us know the results by replying to this thread, and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, i finish the test and it doesn't work yet.

I recreate every xlsx file with every workbook, i copied only cells with data from old workbook to new one and go on.
Now i see that the problem is related to a number of opened excel files maybe...

If i open ALL my 16 files together (like always i do), even if i create a new blank document and i type a formula like =31+21 appear the error!
If i close some files and i create a new blank document i can work..  Maybe Excel counts the number of fonts from all opened files??

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for getting back to us, Marco. I agree with you that the problem might be related to a number of open Excel files. This issue might also be related to computer performance itself.

Therefore, we are looking forward to involving our higher level of support in doing a more thorough investigation of the issue and for me to get accurate information for this concern. Therefore, we’d like to have the following information to do a proper escalation:

Type of Device:

OS Name, Build, and version of the Device:

Excel build and version:

Additionally, we have sent you a private message to gather another information to do the proper escalation. To get into your inbox, click your profile name on this thread and select View private messages.

We’ll keep an eye out for your response.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Genevieve, 

i'm working on a Computer Top Gamma of Microsoft.

Surface Studio 2, i7-7820HQ, 32gb ram, 1tb ssd, gtx 1070 8gb.
Windows 10 latest build

Excel Version 2001 (Build 12430.20288)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for that information, Marco. I also sent you a private message to gather additional information to do a proper escalation. To get into your inbox, click your profile name on this thread and select View private messages

We’ll be looking forward to your reply.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 27, 2023 Views 1,833 Applies to: