Excel 16.59 Mac incorrectly imports UTF-8 plain text file

Hello,

When importing plain text files (UTF-8, with our without BOM) in Mac Excel 16.59 via Data>Get Data>From Text the character set selector shows an empty preview when selecting UTF-8 files. Clicking "Finish" results in an empty sheet. Even if the csv file was created in the same Excel App and saved as "CSV UTF-8". Selecting another character set will result in the special characters to be displayed wrong: e.g. 'é' becomes 'é'. Many other similar instances.

note: when opening the file with Excel directly, the characters are correct. Since i'm loading a number of csv files in my main sheet, just opening the file does not do the trick for me.

The test file contains two test value:

Détecteur

Détecteur

How to circumvent this issue?

Desktop details: macOS Catalina 10.15.7 on an iMac.

Excel for Mac V16.59 (22021506)

Answer
Answer

Hi everyone - thanks for reporting this issue. We have a fix coming in the monthly update for April (version 16.60 220408 or greater). If you'd like to get the fix sooner, you can opt to get the Office Insiders Beta update (version 16.61), which has the fix already. Once you get the update, you can opt out of the Insiders Updates and the next time there's a non-Insiders update with a greater version number than what you've already installed, you will be back to the regular monthly update channel. Instructions are at the link below.

Join the Office Insider Program

If you installed Excel from the Mac App Store, then the fix will be in the next update.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 26, 2023 Views 1,342 Applies to: