Error 0x800488fc

Hello, 

I have been trying to install using Office 365 (which has worked on previous circumstances but needed to re-install), on a macbook - (operating system 10.9.5).  Download was successful, however when using Microsoft Office Setup Assistant, I received the error 0x800488fc. I am using my student account from my university, when I purposely mis-typed my account address it recognised the error and so my account is active. I have tried to install the software 3 times but with no success and the same error. The language settings is in the United States English format, and the link used was through the office 365 email pathway. Now, I need your expert assistance. 

Thank you for your time,

Stephanie 

Hello, 

I have been trying to install using Office 365 (which has worked on previous circumstances but needed to re-install), on a macbook - (operating system 10.9.5), (Microsoft Office 2011).  Download was successful, however when using Microsoft Office Setup Assistant, I received the error 0x800488fc. I am using my student account from my university, when I purposely mis-typed my account address it recognised the error and so my account is active. I have tried to install the software 3 times but with no success and the same error. The language settings is in the United States English format, and the link used was through the office 365 email pathway. Now, I need your expert assistance. 

Thank you for your time,

Stephanie 

48 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

hi stephanie,

as your mac operating system is 10.9.5, could you go to the portal.office.com/.../mysoftware.aspx page and sign in with the office 365 account successfully to re-download the office 2011 for mac package? if office 2011 for mac has been downloaded and installed before, please remove it completely before re-downloading and re-installing.
troubleshoot office 2011 for mac issues by completely uninstalling before you reinstall

if this issue persists, i’d like to confirm the following information:
1. try installing office for mac 2011 from this link:
   http://officecdn.microsoft.com/pr/macoffice2011/en-us/microsoftoffice2011.dmg 
2. capture a full screenshot of the error page you met for our investigation. to upload screenshots, you can click use rich formatting and then click the icon of insert/edit media.

3. do any other colleagues in your organization encounter the same issue? if several users in your organization encounter the same issue, it might be related to the single sign-on or adfs.
4. i have sent you test account via private message. please sign in with it to help us identify if the problem is related to the single sign-on or adfs. you can access private messages via https://community.office365.com/en-us/user/conversations.

we look forward to your updates.

thanks,
kerwin

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Stephanie,

Thanks for your updates.

The test account is just used to check the cause of the issue to identify if the issue is related to your original account itself such as ADFS or Single sign-on, it will be deleted in the coming days and cannot be used continually. We appreciate your understanding.

As the test account works fine, it indicates something is wrong with your original account, in this situation, could you provide us with the screenshot of the error message in the thread and the additional information of your account via private message?  To collect the additional information, I have sent you a private message, please reply to us so we can help you sort this issue out.

Best Regards,
Kerwin

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

hi stephanie,

thanks for your information in the private message.

given the error message, the issue may be caused by the missing certificates. so, i suggest you follow the steps below to install the organization’s certificate on your mac:

1. download the package archive.zip i sent via the private message.

2. open the package and double click “auscertserverca.crt” and “utnaddtrustserver_ca.crt”.

3. they will be added to your keychain access.

4. go to keychain access (finder > go > utilities) and select system, you will see the two added certifies “auscert server ca” and “utn-userfirst-hardware”. if they are not available, please drag the downloaded .crt files directly there.

5. double click on them one by one, click the trust discloser triangle to display trust policies and select always trust.

now please try whether you can activate office 2011 for mac with your account. please go to finder > applications > microsoft office 2011 > office and open microsoft office setup assistance, and you can try re-activating.

if the issue remains, please capture the error message and upload the screenshot here for our reference. to insert a screenshot, click on use rich formatting to create your post. on the edit page, select insert/edit media icon to upload a screenshot.

thanks,
lingyu sun

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi  Stephanie,

Thanks for your information. We'd like to involve related team for further investigation. Once we get any updates, we'll post here to let you know.

Best regards,
Mills

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Stephanie,

To proceed to involve the escalated team in working on the issue, we need to contact your global admin directly. It will be appreciated if you can reach your global admin so he can reply in this thread or provide us with a contact email address.

Thanks for your understanding.

Lingyu Sun

20 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 26, 2020 Views 72,506 Applies to: