Endless Loop When asked to Login for Office 2016 on Mac

Hello!

My College has the ProPlus package for the Microsoft Office suite and I recently downloaded it onto my Mac running Yosemite. I follow the prompts, but when I get to the login for my university page, it just keeps looping, asking me again and again to login. I have enough licenses and my account is fine at my college. The only other thing I could think of is that my personal OneDrive account may be messing it up. Do you have any suggestions or ways I could fix this issue? 

Thanks,

Reuben

hi reuben,

according to the symptoms, it is most likely due to the remaining cookies and caches on the browser. could you first try the following?

1. try clearing the cookies and cache of safari.
1) click safari in the upper left hand side of your screen. in the menu that appears, click preferences.
2) in the window that appears, click the privacy tab. click the button remove all website data....
3) click remove now in the pop up window that appears.
2. try completely uninstalling your current installation and then reinstall according to this article: troubleshoot office 2016 for mac issues by completely uninstalling before you reinstall

if the issue still exists, could you provide related screenshots for our reference?

to upload screenshots, you can click use rich formatting at the bottom and then click the icon of insert media.

thanks,
eric yang

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

i tried the steps you requested and it's still not working. the loop starts when i get to this screen and i can go any futher. any other suggestions?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Reuben,

I'd like to confirm the following information:
1. What if you login to Office 365 via browser? Also try different browsers to check the result.
2. Regarding “my account is fine at my college”, can you also login from the Office for Mac client successfully?
3. Considering you have re-installed the Office client, if convenient, could you try to login with your account on another Mac or other Office versions to see whether the issue still happens?
4. To further investigate the issue, could you let us know whether the other users of your organization have the same issue?

If you have any updates, please let us know.

Regards,
Gene

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am able to login  in my browser(currently Chrome). I have installed the client on another mac at my school; however, I still have 3 licenses so that should be fine. I think this answers number 3 as well. I work as a technician for my school's HelpDesk, and I haven't heard any one else with this issue. I also have my personal OneDrive installed as well. Would that affect my installation?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Reuben,

Installing OneDrive won't affect your installation.

Based on the updates, could you try clearing keychain to see if there is any improvement?
Here is an article for your reference:
Resetting your keychain in Mac OS X

Moreover, I'd like to confirm whether the issue happens when you login with your account in other browsers or different Office clients on other Macs. In addition, does the issue only occur in Word 2016 for Mac or all Office clients when you login?

Please let us know the updates.

Regards,
Gene

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello! I updated last night to .... EL CAPITAN!!!! and now everything works fine. Weird! Thanks for your help! Y'all are great!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 1, 2021 Views 4,082 Applies to: