Email to Group, also into Teams Channel

In October I posted this thread:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_o365admin-mso_teams-mso_o365b/teams-email-to-group-also-send-to-channel/bd94216b-a18a-4cd8-bb0c-3f347b5e260b

Essentially, we have a 'staff' group in o365 and where someone sends an email to 'S****@contoso.com' we want it distributed to staff - and delivered to the 'Staff > General' teams channel.

To do this, I created a contact with the Teams email address, and added it to the group. But we have recently started getting duplicate notices into Teams when emails are sent this way.

Any ideas? I've check to ensure the user isnt somehow in the group twice

(private information removed by moderator)

Hi 8DWDW8,

Thanks for your information, based on that, may I confirm with you the received notifications are as follow pictures showing?

If so, since I created a new Office 365 group, added one teams channel email address to that group, the members in the teams channel are also this group’s members, then when I sent emails to that groups, I would get two notifications, one was from Outlook client, one was from  Teams client. Please check if you are the same situation as I mentioned above.

If you have different scenario, could you please provide the two notification screenshots to me so that I can better look into this issue? Meanwhile, whether the group you mentioned is Office 365 group, or other groups like distribution group?

Thanks,

Anna

--------* Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi 8DWDW8,

We haven't heard back from you, do you have any update, or related information for this issue?

Regards,

Anna

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Anna,

Thanks for getting back to me. The message is delivered once via email into Outlook, as expected.  But it appears in the Teams Channel twice. In both instances into the teams channel, it appears as an email. 

I can send over emails as attachments separately if these help? 

Thanks,

David

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi 8DWDW8,

Since it appears in general channel twice, please navigate to Teams->Activity tab->Feed to see whether the notifications for this email messages also displayed as duplicated:

If so, double-click the two duplicated feed notifications to see if they both pointed to the same email messages, if the email messages in General channel conversations tab are also duplicated, please provide a screenshot of this symptom to me for analyzing:

Meanwhile, may I confirm with you the following information?

1. Is the issue continuously occurs after adding the teams channel contact? Whether all of members in Teams have been affected?
  2. Have you configured any relevant notification settings prior this happening?
  3. If you try to re-add the teams contact, could this issue exists?
  4. Whether the said group refers to Office 365 group? And whether this group is also the group that the channel belongs to?
  5. As my understanding, you have a group, and want the emails send to this group also send a copy to another Teams group channel?

Thanks,

Anna

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Anne,

Yes, the notification appears:

• twice in the activity feed
  • twice in the channel
  • once in the users inbox

Your questions

• Is the issue continuously occurs after adding the teams channel contact? Whether all of members in Teams have been affected?
    This affects all users sending to the list, yes
  • Have you configured any relevant notification settings prior this happening?
    No - other than the channel being favoirited
  • If you try to re-add the teams contact, could this issue exists?
    I have tried this late last week without success
  • Whether the said group refers to Office 365 group? And whether this group is also the group that the channel belongs to?
    Yes and yes
  • As my understanding, you have a group, and want the emails send to this group also send a copy to another Teams group channel?
    The behavior I want is outlined below:

Desired behavior

• Group to existing on Teams (exists today - Staff Lobby is the group)
  • Email address to exist in exchange (exists today - staff@ is the email)
  • A user can post in Staff Lobby > General and group members can see it (exists today as standard teams functionality)
  • A user can email the Staff Lobby group from exchange (existing functionality)
  • Any email that goes to staff group is shared into the Staff Lobby > General channel (not standard functionality)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Channel screenshots below

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi 8DWDW8,

Thanks for your detailed information, since we couldn’t repro this issue, and we couldn’t find this method mentioned in any Official documents, may I collect some information from in Private Messages: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/privatemessage/inbox .

Thanks,

Anna

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi 8DWDW8,

Thanks for your information in Private Messages, during the analyzing, we haven’t found relevant settings could trigger this issue happening, I suggest that you may try to send email to this channel directly instead of sending to that Group to see if the member still receive the duplicated emails.

Thanks,

Anna

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Anna,

Thanks. I've just tried this. Only a single email was delivered to the channel (expected behavior). 

Best wishes

David

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi 8DWDW8,

As we couldn’t find any setting and configuration could trigger the double delivered to Teams channel, and there’s isn’t any official article describing this symptom, I suggest you may use directly send the emails to that channel instead of add it to Office 365 groups.

According to your demand, it is recommend that you may submit a feedback on https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public to share and leave your suggestions and ideas.

Thanks again for your time and understanding.

Regards,

Anna

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 9, 2023 Views 3,566 Applies to: