Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the message request. Please run Microsoft Office Outlook and set it as the default mail client.

I get a similar problem, and Outlook 2007 is my only mail client. Occasionally I am asked to, despite having installed all components from Microsoft Office 2007 on my PC, to insert the DVD and 'install' some 'missing' features (despite having made sure all of the Office components run from my Hard Disk when initially installing Office 2007)

As a result of this install, the installer deletes all references to the Mail Icon in Control Panel. IT also removes all references to the MAPI dlls from the registry and removes the DLLS from the regserver. The last time this happened was when my partner was using Access 2007.

Afterwards, the message "Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the message request. Please run Microsoft Office Outlook and set it as the default mail client." every time you go in to Outlook 2007.

Why, despite having made sure all of the Office components run from my Hard Disk when initially installing Office 2007, does this occur?

Any why does this affect Microsoft Outlook 2007?

In Internet Explorer, Microsoft Outlook is still set to be my email client.

The Mail icon is missing from Control Panel, and all entries to MMCPL, in HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel are empty.

Searching for this message in any of the technical support areas does NOT give you a solution.

Running Diagnostics from Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 does NOT fix the problem.

Running Repair / Reinstall from Microspft Office Installer does NOT fix the problem.

Uninstalling, restarting windows, then installing Office 2007 does NOT fix the problem. 

Remember - This is a public forum so never post private information such as email or phone numbers!

Ideas:

• Programs you are having problems with
  • Error messages
  • Recent changes you made to your computer
  • What you have already tried to fix the problem
Answer
Answer
I have fixed it. there are several red herrings here. Briefly:

Do NOT run fixmapi.exe. It doesnt work for Office 2007.

Rename msmapi32.dll in [Drive]:\windows\system32 folder.

Remove the entry for the
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\MMCPL] key as Office 2007 uses a different mlcfg32.cpl file . I made sure I was using the correct CPL. make sure the CPL runs. It does open, but if you click on the E-Mail Accounts button, nothing happens.

Re-boot the machine. Then run repair from the DVD supplied with office, i.e. do not go in to Add/Remove programs. when this has finished re-boot the PC. Then you will find

I will put the full solution up tonight

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Fix Mail Icon Missing from Control Panel

I'm using Outlook 2007, so my mlcfg32.cpl is located in Drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\MLCFG32.CPL

Do NOT run fixmapi.exe, ie does NOT work for Office 2007

and the steps are:

1.Make sure that the following Control Panel file exists and that it works as expected:
Drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\MLCFG32.CPL

2.Click Start , click Run , type regedit, and then click OK .

3.Locate the following registry subkey (if not exist, create it):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\Cpls

4.Make sure that the mlcfg32.cpl registry entry exists. Additionally, make sure that its value is set as follows:
Drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\MLCFG32.CPL
If the mlcfg32.cpl registry entry does not exist, you must create it. To do this, follow these steps:
a. Right-click the Cpls registry subkey, point to New , and then click String Value .
b. type mlcfg32.cpl as the name of the registry entry.
c. Double-click the mlcfg32.cpl registry entry, type Drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\MLCFG32.CPL in the Value Data box, and then click OK .

5.Exit Registry Editor, and then open Control Panel. The Mail icon is displayed as expected. Double click to make sure you can open it. The e-Mail Accounts button will not work at this stage if you click it.

6. Rename msmapi32.dll in [Drive]:\windows\system32 folder.

7. Remove the entry for the
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\MMCPL] key as Office 2007 uses a different mlcfg32.cpl file . I made doubly sure I was using the correct CPL. Make sure the CPL still runs. It does open, but if you click on the E-Mail Accounts button, nothing happens.

8. As a further option, you could

regsvr32 inetcomm.dll

9. Re-boot the machine. Then run repair from the DVD supplied with office, i.e. do not go in to Add/Remove programs, insert the DVD. When this has finished re-boot the PC.

Then you will find email Accounts have been restored without destroying the pst files.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2021 Views 18,388 Applies to: