Double spacing on sent email replies.

Split from this thread.

That's what happens to me also (using Outlook 2016 in Office 365), except that the extra spacing doesn't appear until after the email has been sent. So everything looks normal after typing the email, but the sent version is double spaced.

It doesn't happen on the original send; it happens when replying to an email from someone else.

It doesn't happen with all correspondence; the recipient's email program is also implicated.

Certainly, however, it happens when I'm corresponding with another Outlook user. 

Hi Warwick,

Normally, when you send an email to someone, it doesn't double the spacing. Regarding your concern, it turns out that double spacing occur when replying to an email. Does it happen to all emails you replied? Also, are you getting the same issue when replying to an email online at Outlook.com?

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I am having a similar problem in Outlook 2016 that only started about a month ago. Prior to this, my reply email was fine. I have to compose a morning report which is updated from the previous morning's email. When I send the email with my updates for the day, the whole email has double spacing. I have checked my emails and notice emails I sent prior to June 21st were sent without a hitch, emails after that look normal when composing, then add spacing once received. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ariel

I'll have to check that, as I don't usually use Outlook online; I use the Office 365 Outlook program (on Windows 10). It wasn't always like this. It kicked in about four months ago and is becoming so exasperating that I'm considering switching to Yahoo Mail, which actually appears to be improving under, I assume, Verizon's control. 

It happens in Office Outlook and in Mail for Windows 10. A friend with whom I communicate regularly has the same problem when using Outlook. We're both thinking of using alternative apps until Microsoft sorts this problem, as it completely stuffs the record of our conversation.

To answer another of your questions: When replying, it happens most of the time but not always. Sometimes when I reply, the spacing is correct and I think the problem has been corrected. Then as the conversation continues, the double spacing reappears. Weird!

Later

I composed a message in Outlook online and included a few indented lines with dot points. I didn't space between the lead sentence above the indented lines, but I entered a space after the indented lines to go to a new paragraph. I sent the email and the message looked just as I'd typed it.

Then I opened Office Outlook 2016 (Office 365) on my PC to check the sent message. It had changed in that a single space had been entered between the lead sentence and the indented lines, and an additional space had been entered below the indented lines and the next paragraph. So there are two spaces between the indented lines and the following paragraph, one that I entered originally and another that MS Outlook entered when I sent the message.

The additional spaces also appear when I view the sent email in Mail for Windows 10.

The additional spaces do not appear in the online product.

So Outlook is adding spaces - two in this example - when messages are viewed in software installed on PCs. 

Warwick

Sorry this didn't help.

The problem appears to be related to settings in installed software (Office 365 in my case). I fiddled with my settings in Office Outlook to select the 'No Spacing' style. Then, using outlook.com (rather than Office Outlook), I sent a multi-paragraph message to two recipients. It looked great in the 'Send' folder, exactly as I'd formatted it. However, when the recipients replied, their own messages arrived properly spaced, but my original message was not just double-spaced but multi-spaced. Then when I replied to them again, my original message resumed the original format, i.e. it corrected itself by automatically removing the additional spaces.

I then opened Office Outlook to check my revised format settings and found that my selection of 'No Spacing' had been changed to inserting spaces before and after paragraphs. This is becoming quite spooky. I think MS Office products have become so sophisticated that they're out of control.

It would be great if Microsoft could fix this problem. If they can't, I'll be tempted to unsubscribe from Office 365 and find a brand that works properly. I thought I could manage this by using outlook.com, but it seems that outlook.com adopts (synchronises with) the unstable settings in Office Outlook. Now I don't know if the problem is with Office Outlook or in Microsoft Exchange.

Warwick

Sorry this didn't help.

I've spent a bit of time today sending emails to myself at another address (Yahoo Mail) and replying from that address. I've checked my settings in Office Outlook to make sure that paragraph spacing is eliminated. Nothing has helped, but sometimes the double spacing occurs in Office Outlook when it doesn't appear in Outlook.com. Of course, it also shows up at the Yahoo end, but that's after Microsoft Exchange has mangled the message. There doesn't appear to be a totally consistent pattern. The gremlin attacks at will!

I removed my Outlook account from Office Outlook and added it back, but the problem remains. Perhaps Office Outlook needs to be uninstalled completely and reinstalled, but I'm not sure that Office Outlook is the culprit; it could be the Microsoft servers that are doing the damage. So my next sad step is to remove my Outlook account from Office Outlook again and use Outlook.com. If it still occurs, I guess I can assume that Office Outlook has nothing to do with the problem.

Stand by...

Warwick

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, so with my account removed from Office Outlook, the problem still occurs when sending between Outlook.com and Yahoo Mail.

New message - Outlook to Yahoo - OK

Reply - Yahoo to Outlook - OK

Reply - Outlook to Yahoo - the most recent message is now double spaced at the Yahoo end only

Reply - Yahoo to Outlook - OK at both ends but the previous message is still double spaced

Reply - Outlook to Yahoo - still only one message appears double spaced at the Outlook end, but three of the messages appear double spaced at the Yahoo end (and two of the messages are double spaced in Mail for Windows 10).

I might as well add my Outlook account back into Office Outlook, as it appears the problem has nothing to do with the app. Evidently, it's on the Microsoft servers.

Aug 3, 2017

When I added my Outlook account back into Office Outlook yesterday, the software added it twice, i.e. the account listing shows two entries for the one Outlook account. I can't remove either, as a message tells me I can't remove my primary account while there's another account registered. And I can't remove the other account, as it's actually the same account. So I can no longer remove my Outlook account from Office Outlook. The gremlins are active!

Warwick

Sorry this didn't help.

Nothing's changed. Space has actually been removed a couple of times since I started experimenting, but it is usually added. Sometimes the correct structure remains in place. It seems to be totally random; I can't detect a pattern. Outlook is unstable.

Yesterday I did an 'Online Repair' of the MS Office 365 suite. That didn't help and it didn't remove the double entry of my Outlook account in Office Outlook. So I still can't remove my Outlook address from Office Outlook. 

I experimented with email messages between my Gmail and Yahoo accounts. No problem at all. All good. Unfortunately, the people with whom I exchange most messages also use Office Outlook. So even if I use Gmail or Yahoo, the MSFT software stuffs up the messages by double spacing. If this keeps up, they also might switch to Gmail or Yahoo.

Warwick

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 29, 2020 Views 7,716 Applies to: