Disable "Save this file" Window when using Save shortcut

Hi,

I have a problem with saving in Microsoft Office 365. Prior to today, when I use the save shortcut (cltr + s), the backstage of office would show up, with the "save as" tab open, allowing me to select a location to save my file. However, just this morning, upon using this shortcut, a "Save this file" windows pops up instead with a File Name field, a Location selector, and a More Save Options button that would lead to the backstage "save as" area.

How can I disable this new feature and revert back to the old cltr + s window? I've figured out that this is related to my Connected Services, perhaps OneDrive, but even if I uninstall OneDrive from my computer, the problem still exists. The only temporary fix is to go to File > Account > Account Privacy > Manage Settings and turn off All Connected Experiences. After doing so, the traditional save backstage appears again when I use the save shortcut; HOWEVER, doing so forces me to also disable Office's ability to download online content, including any add-ons and templates, which is really inconvenient. Another way of fixing it is to just sign out of my Microsoft account, however doing so would reset all my recent file history and just complicates things.

Is there a way, either through registry, powershell, or whatever to disable this annoying window?

Thanks.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Justin,
That is this dialog? I don't think you can disable it, but will check. I only see it when i close a document I haven't saved yet, because I have the option enabled to not use backstage - Ctrl+S brings up the old File Save Explorer.
--
Diane Poremsky
M365 MVP, specializing in Outlook, Exchange, and Microsoft 365 apps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes that is the window. It's really annoying since I'm used to it automatically switching to the backstage when I use the shortcut.

I don't recall office updating either so it's not like it's a new feature. I'm certain that it relates to my Connected Services but it's quite stupid that I can't even disable something so simple.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, it is annoying. I first started seeing it a few weeks ago - I'm on the insider builds, which gets me features 4+ weeks ahead of general release. I don't know for sure when it was added as i only see it when i click the X to close a document without saving - and i don't do that very often. Because I don't use the backstage, Ctrl+S brings up the old "classic" Save dialog.
--
Diane Poremsky
M365 MVP, specializing in Outlook, Exchange, and Microsoft 365 apps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We recently made a change to the new document experience to make saving faster by providing you with a single dialog to set the name and location of your document when a OneDrive account is connected. By default we preselect a connected OneDrive folder, but you can also define your own default folder by right clicking on any of the recent folders shown below the default and OneDrive folders in the new dialog. As you discovered, you can also return to the Backstage file save experience by clicking on “More locations” or “More save options”. We don’t have a setting that will disable the new save experience when a OneDrive connection is available.

Your feedback is important to us! Is there something that the backstage save experience provides you that would make the new save dialog better?

Thank you,

Bill

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Bill,

I understand it's a new feature, but there should definitely be a way to disable it if users prefer. It might not be certain features missing per se, but alot of us just like things that we're used to. Personally, I've been using Office 13+ since it's release and whenever I use the shortcut, I see the backstage popup with save options. To me, it looks cleaner and retains the feel of Microsoft Word. 

I assumed it was because of OneDrive, so is there a way to remove that connection from my personal Microsoft account? If not, I hope you guys implement a way to turn on/off the new menu.

Thanks for your reply.

Justin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I loathe this new feature. The new dialog is horribly useless and a disgraceful waste of time. How would anybody think this makes saving faster? All I want is backstage!!!!! The result of the new feature is that I now need two clicks instead of one to reach backstage.

Microsoft, as usual, is being completely disfunctional: in the past hitting "save"/"save as" would bring up the classic dialog which is somewhat similar to the new one. Then backstage was introduced, we got used to it and to its advantages, even if it was tweaked several time and now, many years later, you introduce AGAIN a dialog to pop up before accessing backstage? Is this a joke??

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I hope they add the option to disable that **** soon. For now J guess I just have to turn all the connected services off... rip office templates.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is the most aggravating feature of any Windows/Office product to date. You have destroyed my ability to efficiently move in and out of Office documents.

For the love of EVERYONE who has EVER used Office EVER, DISABLE THIS **** or at least introduce an option for me to disable it directly.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I concur - Microsoft, please allow the option to disable this feature. This extra dialog box is hampering my efficiency and irritating.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Bill, are you able to tell me please when the update was made/what version was it deployed on.  Just have various user experiences and looks like a version issue i.e. users have different versions of word/office and some get it while others don't get the prompt. 

Thanks

Joe

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 30, 2024 Views 602 Applies to: