Direct Send allows SMTP relay to external recipients?

Microsoft's article here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/How-to-set-up-a-multifunction-device-or-application-to-send-email-using-Office-365-69f58e99-c550-4274-ad18-c805d654b4c4

....says that "Direct send cannot be used to deliver email to external recipients, for example, recipients with Yahoo or Gmail addresses.", but I have found that doesn't seem to be true. I can use any MX record for anyone that uses Office 365, connect to it via SMTP, and send to external recipients (like Gmail, another O365 tenant, etc.).

I thought that only the "SMTP relay" method was supposed to allow this, so you can create the connector and add an allowed static IP address.

Why does "Direct send" also allow delivery to external recipients with no authentication? Seems like a security risk!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

look like you were using another method smtp client submission. I want to inform you this method also allow sending emails externally. There is an easy way to indentify it, see if you can send emails externally without a licensed office 365 mailbox. Just read the article again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm not using SMTP client submission.

You can recreate this "issue" with Direct Send by doing the following:

Make sure to complete this test from behind a static IP address that is NOT on any blacklists, as Microsoft won't accept SMTP traffic from an IP on any blacklist (which most dynamic IP addresses are on).

Download an SMTP testing tool (or use telnet if you're familiar with SMTP commands). I use SMTP Diag Tool (https://www.adminkit.net/smtp_diag_tool.aspx).

Enter a valid Office 365 MX record for "SMTP Server". UNCHECK "Server requires authentication".

Make up a From: address at the correct domain (like *** Email address is removed for privacy ***).

Enter a To: address that is EXTERNAL to the Office 365 tenant (like another Office 365 account in a different tenant OR a Gmail address).

Click "Test SMTP" and it will go through. It might be delivered to junk/spam on the recipient's end, but the point is that it allows relaying to external recipients.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ts_ryan,

My understanding is that the tool itself has the ability (acting as the mail server) to rout the mail. As a result, it can be routed to external non-Office 365 accounts.

You can read more in that article (How direct send works> Note). 

Regards,

Alan

-----------------------

* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Alan -- I'm not sure I follow. That tool is just a simple SMTP testing interface. It doesn't act as a mail server. It's the same thing as connecting via telnet...it's just easier.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ts_ryan,

Firstly, I’d like to clarify that direct send doesn’t use any Office 365 configurations to send the emails.
As said in the article you found, the settings for the server is the MX endpoint pointed to Office 365. So if you didn’t change the MX endpoint, you can only send emails using direct send to Office 365 email addresses. If you change the MX endpoint to other email services, you can send emails to other external email addresses.

Regards,
Yang

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I understand how direct send works. Can you please try to recreate the issue as I've described? Take any domain's Office 365 tenant MX record and try to use it to send mail from *** Email address is removed for privacy *** to a Gmail account. It sends successfully, which I don't believe should be allowed.

Here's an example of the SMTP Diag Tool settings, the resulting log, and the message in Gmail. The O365 tenant for this MX record does NOT have a connector set up for the "SMTP Relay" method (which would make this work):

(note that the MX record in the SMTP Server box has the beginning cut off in this screenshot)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ts_ryan,

Thanks for your clarification. 

It should be the tool's machanism. I will further check the tool. You may also test it via other device to see if ithe same situation. But, since you can send successfully, isn't it a good news.

Regards,

Alan

-----------------------

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Alan,

I can do the same exact thing using telnet and SMTP commands. I just verified this...I connected to an Office 365 MX record on port 25, then used the commands to compose a message to a Gmail account. I received the message successfully in the Gmail account.

So, it has nothing to do with SMTP Diag Tool...that's just a much easier/faster way of testing than using telnet and SMTP commands.

It's most definitely not "good news" that Direct Send seems to not work the way Microsoft's documentation shows. It says it won't send to external recipients, but it does...unless I'm missing something here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ts_ryan,

Thanks for your update.

Please change the From address to an Office 365 group’s email address in your Office 365 tenant and then send a test email to the Gmail account.

In addition, please send us the SMTP Diag Tool. I’ve sent you a Private Message to collect it. You can access it via this link:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/privatemessages/list

Regards,

Barry

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ts_ryan,

Any update please let us know.

Regards,

Alan

-----------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 22, 2024 Views 6,345 Applies to: