Digital Signatures become invalid after upgrading to MS Office 2010

I'm currently testing Office 2010. We have bought 80 licences and we want to deploy it as soon as possible.

So far, there seems to be no technical issues BUT the digital signatures in documents saved in 2007 shows as invalid when opened in 2010.

Does anyone have any idea of what's causing this extrange behavior? I mean: the certificates are valid (we have our own Root Certificate Server) but somehow the new Office 2010 modifies the document when opened and that seems to be the cause of the invalidation in the signature.

Any help will be truly appreciated.

Alberto Rodriguez
MCP | MCTS | MCSA
Answer
Answer
Based on:  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-excel/invalid-signature/7e995785-1844-448a-98fe-5d8b6c41b002

All you have to do to keep Digital Signatures in Excel valid is to disable autocalculation. The thing is that feature affects all Worksheets, so, I came up with a VBA Statement that would disable autocalculation ONLY in that single sheet:

activesheet.enablecalculation = False

In any case, Microsoft should consider to disable autocalculation in digitally signed documents to prevent this situation (what's the purpose of autocalculate something that should remain "as is").

Hope this would help some others.
MCP | MCTS | MCSA

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 3,523 Applies to: