Dictionary is missing from Microsoft Word

Is Dictionary no longer a feature of Word? The Research Pane used to show both Dictionary and Thesaurus results. Now, the Thesaurus is the only option under the Research Pane.

If I go to the “research options” dialog box from the Research pane, all Dictionary entries are missing.  I can still select a Dictionary icon from the Customize Quick Access Toolbar dialog box to go at the top of my screen above the ribbon, but the icon doesn’t actually do anything.

I found the following "solution" from an online tutorial:

Why is my “Add to Dictionary” option grayed out?

This seems like a bug in the software. Try going to File > Options > Proofing > Custom Dictionaries. Then select  the “Dictionary language”. Then remove the checkbox next to the dictionary item, then check it again. These steps seem to toggle something in the software that makes the “Add to Dictionary” option available again.

But I could not access the options listed above because the "Dictionary Language" checkbox is simply not available. I did uncheck everything I could, but doing so did not make a difference. Exploring options under "add services" or "update/remove" did not help either.

Has Microsoft removed the Dictionary altogether? Or is there something I can do to restore Dictionaries on my account? 

Thank you!

More Background:

I have the most updated version of Microsoft Word, Office 365 for Business, operating on a PC with Windows 10.

Here is what it looks like:

Answer
Answer

Because I can see the Encarta Dictionary in the Research Options dialog, I can click on it and click the Properties button. That tells me that the path for that service is

https://rr.office.microsoft.com/Research/query.asmx

Good luck!

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 2,819 Applies to: