"Detect language automatically" doesn't work

Hello,

English is set as the default language in Word 2010, but I have proofing tools for French installed. The "Detect language automatically" box is checked under "Language/Set proofing language", but when I type in French, it never recognizes it and proofs and autocorrects as if it were English. I can select all the text and change the language manually and then it will proof it as French, but this is a real hassle because I write about 40% of the time in French, and I also write documents that contain both languages.

I use Word 2010 on two other computers and have not had this problem; after typing a few words, Word recognizes them as French on those machines. This is happening on a new machine that came with Office 2010 pre-installed. I don't see any difference in the language or proofing settings between the machines that will auto-detect the language and my new one that won't.

Any ideas?
Answer
Answer

"Detect language automatically" isn't very reliable, as you have seen. I'm surprised you got it to work on one computer and not the other, though.

We, meaning the Word MVP:s, usually recommend turning off the feature and, instead, use different styles (with different proofing languages specified) for use with text in different languages.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Thanks, Stefan. I will give styles a try for documents that are entirely in English or French, but I don't know that that's a solution for docs that contain both languages.

It will work equally well with documents containing multiple languages. Proofing language is a character attribute. Character attributes can be stored in styles.
Graham Mayor (Microsoft Word MVP 2002-2019)
For more Word tips and downloads visit my web site
https://www.gmayor.com/Word_pages.htm

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 10, 2023 Views 8,237 Applies to: