Default proofing language setting isn't working in Office 365, Windows 10

Regardless of my Default Editing Language setting (File->Options->Language->Choose Editing Language), all of the Office apps keep using my Windows Display Language as the default proofing language.

Note that the problem isn't that the setting for Default Editing Language in Office is changed each time I restart, but that it simply doesn't seem to matter what I've set as my Default Editing Language.

I've done the following testing:

Changing the Windows Display Language also changes the proofing language when I open a new Office document

It's not only the Danish spellcheck that isn't kicking in - no matter what my Default Editing Language is, the proofing is dictated by the Windows Display Language.

The Windows 'Country or Region' setting doesn't seem to matter.

Even deleting English from the list of possible proofing languages (within Office) doesn't make a difference.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Do you have a solution or a workaround?

Here are screenshots of the two setting menus I've been talking about:

The Windows 'Region and Language Settings'

The Office 'Language' Settings

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Andreas Østergård, 

I replicated your concern using one of the Office applications which is Microsoft Word. Upon checking the Review tab of the application, I tried disabling the Detect language automatically option. I was able to use the language I want to. You can check the images below as a reference:

Go to the Review tab then click Language option

Disable the Detect language automatically option then select the language you want to apply. 

Click Set As Default. You will now receive an popup asking if you want to keep the choosen language as default. 

Click OK

Please respond to this thread to let me know how the issue progresses. Similarly, if you have more questions, please inform me by replying to this post.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for helping me out! Sadly, it doesn't seem to solve the problem. It's quite odd really, because the fact that the Detect language automatically checkbox should be empty is retained when I restart word, but the chosen language is not.

According to the message, what is happening is a change to Normal.dotm. I don't think my issue is in Normal.dotm, since it shows up in all of my Office apps.

Also, I just realized I haven't included any information about my system. I must admit I don't know what the different numbers in 'Windows Specifications' means, so I'll just include them all...

• Edition: Windows 10 Home
  • Version: 1803
  • Installed on: 09-12-2018
  • OS Build: 17134.523
  • Serial Number: ********

It's a Lenovo Ideapad 530s 14"

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Andreas Østergård,

Just to follow with this concern, since the suggestion above didn't work, you can proceed with repairing your Office. You can check this article for the steps.

If repair didn't help, you can use the Easy Fix tool to completely uninstall Office. The download link for the tool is provided on the same article. Once done, try re-installing Office and check if the issue persists.

To notify us and have us get back to you, simply reply to this post.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jomel Ber

I tried to run the Repair, but it didn't solve the problem

I've now tried to uninstall Office with the Easy Fix Tool, but that didn't help either. However, the Easy Fix Tool seems to have run into some problems along the way which might be to blame. I ran it again (with the same results) in order to screenshot what it had to say:

I restarted, but all of my Office apps were still installed (and exhibiting the same behavior)

Is it possible to just uninstall Office from Apps and Features (I've got the following two programs)

Which one should be uninstalled? Will uninstalling delete my custom stylesheets etc.?

Again, thank you for taking the time

Andreas

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for standing by. If you want to manually uninstall Office, you can try to uninstall it via Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a program. Uninstalling Office only removes the Office applications from your computer, it doesn't remove any files, documents, or workbooks you created using the Office apps.

If you have additional questions, or if the issue persists after the troubleshooting steps above, please let me know by replying to this thread. This way, I'll get notified and respond back to you as soon as I can.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've now un- and reinstalled office. My custom style was no longer default, but that was solved by changing Normal.dotm. However, my proofing problem wasn't solved. As it turns out though, what I had before was the Microsoft Store version, and what I installed now was Office 365 from my school (Office 365 ProPlus, I believe). In this version, I had the option to separately change the Office Display Language (It didn't follow the Windows Display Language). This meant I could change the Windows Display Language, thus changing the default proofing language, while keeping the Office Display Language English. I lost Cortana along the way, but I'll be able to deal with that.

Thank you for helping me out!

Edit: Nevermind. All my Office apps behave the way I described, except for Onenote 2016. Even though it says the Office Display Language is English - it isn't. It's following the Windows Display Language, so it's Danish. Since OneNote 2016 is where I do most of my typing and using shortcuts, well... I'm afraid not a lot have been solved.

Don't take this as a personal attack against anyone - but I find it quite odd how many places in Office the right setting seem to be available, but changing that setting simply doesn't do anything. Why is there even a 'set proofing language'-option if the proofing language still follows the Windows Display Language? And why has OneNote 2016 got a 'set Display Language'-option when that, too, follows the WDL?

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the update and I truly understand where you are coming from, Andreas. With regard to the OneNote issue, I just want to clarify if you're using OneNote 2016 that came up with your Office suite or the OneNote for Windows 10 (pre-installed). To know the difference between these two applications, you can refer to this article.

If you're using the pre-installed OneNote for Windows 10, it would depend on the languages installed on your computer to check the spelling. 

We'll wait for your update.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for continuing to help me

I'm using OneNote 2016, although it didn't come with my Office Suite (I'm told this is because  I have Office 365 ProPlus, which is what my school offers). I installed OneNote 2016 from here after installing the rest of Office.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Andreas Østergård,

I appreciate you for confirming the version of OneNote that you’re using. As what was mentioned, the proofing language of your other Office applications are now working as expected, however, OneNote 2016 still doesn’t. To isolate if the issue is just with OneNote 2016 version, would you be able to try using the OneNote for Windows 10 and see if the proofing language will work accordingly. Click here to download the app, just in case you don’t have it yet installed. Then, refer to this article: Check spelling in OneNote for Windows 10

Please respond to this thread to let me know how the issue progresses. Similarly, if you have more questions, please inform me by replying to this post.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Louie Del

I've now done a bit of testing on OneNote for Windows 10, and I can confirm that it follows the language that is on top of the 'preferred languages' list in Windows. In this screenshot, the Windows Display Language is Danish, and the language on top of the preferred languages list is English - and OneNote for Windows 10 is in English.

Using OneNote for Windows 10 isn't really an option for me though - fx I heavily rely on the equation tool in OneNote 2016.

Also, just to clarify, the Proofing Language of my other Office applications isn't working as expected per se - it is still not following the setting within Office, it is instead following the Windows Display Language. However, since my other Office apps are now 'stuck' in English for the Display Language, regardless of the WDL, I can set my WDL to Danish. If the settings did work though, I would prefer to have my WDL be English, because Cortana isn't available in Danish.

The situation can be boiled down to this:

• The Display Language in OneNote 2016 is stuck to Danish. In my other Office apps, it's stuck to English.
  • The proofing language in all of them follows the Windows Display Language.
  • In OneNote for Windows 10, the Display Language follows the language on top of the preferred languages list

EDIT: I've just discovered an important detail. I've only got the English Language pack for Office installed - this is why it's stuck to English

However, since I've got 365 ProPlus, OneNote 2016 is not included in this, and as such it's a separate installation - and this installation is in Danish (da-dk)

But I installed OneNote from here, and there's no option to install a specific language. So do you have an idea as to how I may go about getting the English version installed instead? I feel confident that, if I could do that, my problem would be solved (although I would lose Cortana, since I'd still have to let my WDL be Danish).

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 24, 2024 Views 19,117 Applies to: