Data messed-up in shared Excel worksheet

We are using Excel small business 2007. We shared a workbook with 12 users. Frequently the data will get jumbled up.

The workbook is used to keep records and update of jobs done.  All information regarding a job will be in a row with different cells for Customer ID, PO No, PO Date, Item Code, Item Type, Sizes, Quantity, Job Progress etc etc. All these fields are in different column.

The Job Progress actually has many column of different process to complete the job. Different users will update different components of a particular job as the job progress.

In one of the columns, there are these Job Number in running sequence. The Job Numbers are alpha-numerical numbers and unique to each job. Any new  jobs will be appended to the bottom of the table with a unique new Job Number. Frequently, the jobs and the job numbers will get jumbled up. For example, a job with Job Number "A1234" will jump to a different row with say a different Job Number "A1100" etc.

We use filter in the table as well. Frequently different users will sort the table according to their preference. Some users may sort by Customer ID, Others may sort by Item Code etc etc. We ruled out the possibility that the messed up of data was due to sorting on part of the table and the other part didn't get sorted.

Any suggestions what has gone wrong?

Many thanks

Fibon

Sharing workbooks is not the best implemented feature of Excel! They tend to get corrupted or have "strange things" happening. Take a look at my article about this:

http://www.excel-user.com/2011/07/sharing-workbook.html

I've stopped using shared workbooks for sometime...I prefer to build induvidual workbooks, where each person will update his information, and have a master workbook where I link all of the information.

jpgpinto

jpgpinto
http://excel-user.com/

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi jpgpinto, thank you so much for your prompt response. I have read many comments from other users saying that shared workbook always corrupt data sooner or later. If at this moment I am going to create different workbooks for different users and have a master workbook to link all the information, it will be a big task for me.

I am just wondering were there any thing we gone wrong or any thing we should avoid / by-pass so as to avoid the problem.

Another weird thing is, say when a user enters an entry in a particular row (Job Number) and saved it, after a while, the data went to another row (Job Number). It may happen in the same days or after a few days. The weird thing is, when we tracked the changes using the "Track Changes" button on the Excel, the history actually highlighted yet another row where the data were been entered!!

- Say we have 3 rows with Job Number A1001, A1002 & A1003
- A user key in the job to row with Job Number A1002
- The next day, the entries mysteriously went to row with Job Number A1001 and the job at Job Number went to yet another row.
- When we tracked the history, the history highlighted the row with Job Number A1003 and said that the user had actually entered the data into this row. Worst, cells is row with Job Number A1003 were still blank!

Regards
Fibon

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That's the problem of shared workbooks...strange things happen! I've seen all kinds of this, some happen once, others happen multiple times, some have a patern, other have no explanation...
jpgpinto

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank. Look like I have to bear with it or look for alternative like what you have mentioned - to create multiple workbooks for different users and a master workbook to link them all.

Other than this, I really don't know what else can be done!!

Fibon

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm affraid so...It's almost impossible for us to try to find the problem, even if we're looking to the real file, on the real place.
jpgpinto

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I agreed. Indeed we tried to trace the problem but we are heading no way. Extreme frustrating. In one occasion, we saw different information on different computer.

Say a user has entered a new job from his computer and saved it. It is highlighted on his display as new entry (we have switched on the "Track Changes - Highlight"). We went to another computer, the entry was not displayed. No matter how many time we clicked the <Save> button and update the display, it just didn't show up (yet on some other computers, it did show up! Some shows, some doesn't show). For those computers that didn't show the updated entry, we exited Excel and log in again. Now it shows!

But the problem is, the user wouldn't know that whether his screen is showing the latest update! We are just heading no way.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 11, 2024 Views 8,610 Applies to: