Creating a Donor Summary year-end receipt from an Excel spreadsheet of donations

I am trying to figure out how to create a year-end donor receipt from an excel spreadsheet of all donations received in the preceding fiscal year (Jan 1 to Dec 31). This is a "Many to One" type of merge that needs to happen and adding to the complexity is our need to first email such a summary to those records that have an email address associated, then the rest would get a printed copy mailed via snail mail.  Is there some way to do this kind of thing via Microsoft products? We presently are Office 365 E3 clients.

The spreadsheet would include the following data:

1) Data required to identify the Donor and allow us to email or mail it to them:

a.) Email address

b.) Mailing Address (Street Address Line 1, Street Address Line 2(if present), City, State/Province, Zip, Country)

c.) Donor Name (Title, FirstName, LastName)

2) Data Required to create the summary of their donations in the fiscal year:

a) Donation Date (mm/dd/yyyy)

b) Donation Amount

c) Designation

d) Associated Campaign

Thanks for any help you can offer or recommendations.

Sincerely,

Matt

Hi Matt,

First I am not sure what do you mean by create a year-end donor receipt from an excel spreadsheet of all donations received, do you already have the excel spreadsheet of all donations received or you need generate the spreadsheet from other resource?
As for emailing summary, office has a function called Mail Merge, refer to this: Mail merge using an Excel spreadsheet, it should let you send summary to the email addresses you have.

Regards,
Alex

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Greetings Alex,

Thanks for replying. Yes, I have a spreadsheet of all the donations. My trouble comes with having donors who have, for instance, given monthly gifts, so the receipt needs to list each of those twelve donations in that single email. This is where I mean that I am dealing with a “Many to One” arrangement. I want to send out a single email to that donor, rather than twelve emails to that donor.

As I understand using mail merge, that Many to One is possible if one uses the Merge for a Directory with grouping, but I don’t think that then allows you to actively email the product at each change in the donor from that spreadsheet.

If I only had one donation from each donor, the simple email merge would seem very straight forward. So, that is where I am struggling to figure out a Many to One solution :)

Sincerely

Matt

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Matt,

It seems like you cannot just use Mail Merge to achieve your goal. First you need to deal with the ‘Many to one’ situation, to merge the receipts. I tried to find a way to merge, since the content you want to merge contains not only numbers, there is no solution for this In Excel. Using Macro in Office might solve this, here is an example for Macro: How To Send Personalized Mass Emails To A List From Excel Via Outlook, if you want to use Macro, you need to add some nested blocks and determine statements.
Forum members who have solutions for this are very welcome to share your ideas here.

Regards,
Alex

[Microsoft provides no assurances and/or warranties, implied or otherwise, and is not responsible for the information you receive from the third-party linked sites or any support related to technology.​​ ]

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 12, 2024 Views 1,271 Applies to: