Change default spell checker language

I'm working on Word 2019 on an English SO and Office; I'd like to change the default check spelling language, but no matter what I do when I open a new document it defaults to English.

In Options > Language I changed the preferred language, and I even deleted altogether English, yet for each new document it still defaults to English. If I try to change it from the Language dialogue in an empty document nothing happens; if I write something then delete all the text, it automatically falls back to English.

I also did "Set as default" on a different language, I tried to do that directly on Normal.dotm, nothing changed, the default is always English.

Is it possible to have the system language and the default proofing language different by default?

Answer
Answer
I am now less confident that even the third macro would defeat this.

I'm not sure where this is coming from.

I did try running the one for the document styles and it made no difference. Same with the one for the styles in the normal template.

I can confirm the behavior you are seeing.

Workaround:
In a new document based on the normal template (new blank document) press the Enter key once before you start typing. This should give you Italian.

This is definitely a workaround, not the way you should have to work.

Use the feedback mechanism in Word to send a frown.
Please don't shoot the messenger! I am a fellow user trying to help you use the Office that is rather than the one that should be. If you assign a rating to my response, please rate my response, rather than what Microsoft is doing to all of us!

The people who can make changes to Word seldom, if ever, read anything that is posted in this help forum.

You can use the Feedback mechanism in Office or post directly to UserVoice to let developers know what you want.
https://support.office.com/article/How-do-I-giv...

If you do, you can include a link to this thread. If you do post in UserVoice, please put a link to that post in this thread so others can more easily find it to vote for it.
Charles Kenyon
Attorney at Law
Madison, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

The Importance of Styles in Microsoft Word
https://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm#Overview

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 18, 2024 Views 3,934 Applies to: