can't open OneNote file on OneDrive

we are an Office365 ADFS environment using Intune for MDM.  Apps are published to mobile devices via Intune

On my Iphone I can't open my OneNote file which is saved in my business OneDrive.  This is the case on my iPad as well.  I'm running 2.18 on both devices, which looks like it was released a few weeks ago.  It might be that long that I've been having the problem

I'm authenticated using my corporate credentials.

When I try to open a notebook, in the "recent notes" list there isn't anything listed.  When I click the "Open More" option it brings up a screen and says there are no recent notebooks.

From the Settings menu I select the "Go To OneDrive" option, it opens my OneDrive app which is also pushed through Intune.  I can authenticate, and navigate to my Notebook, but I can't open the file.  Well, actually when I click the OneNote file, OneDrive asks if I want to download OneNote app. If I say yes, it tries to download an non-managed version.  We have rules set in MDM which won't allow O365 files to be opened in non-managed apps

Any suggestions?

Thanks

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Bradley,

If the issues don’t occur in apps which aren’t published via Intune on a phone and the other people in your company encountered the similar issues , the issues may be related to the deployment of Microsoft Intune. Given the situation, I suggest you post a new thread on our Microsoft Intune forum for expert help.

Thanks,
Cliff

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I can't open anything in OneDrive from the non managed version of OneNote either.

This all worked after implementation of Intune.  I believe this changed with the most recent release of OneNote

I can open a discussion in the Intune forums, however it would be nice to know for sure MS didn't pull functionality with the last release before I go chasing my tail

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Putting Onenote to Onedrive is not a best practice. onenote has its own sync mechanism. Come to think about it, if you don't put a Onenote to onedrive, it will also sync normally, so why would you include a Onenote to Onedrive.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Gerry Beat me to it

You should NOT put your OneNote file inside your OneDrive for Busienss Folder.

Gerry already explained the sync issues

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

where am I supposed to put it?  I'm pretty sure that is the default location when the OneNote desktop application created the file in the first place

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just logged into a computer in my corporate network with a test user.  This user has an E3 license for O365.  This user has never setup anything, so it is a clean slate.

I launched the desktop version of OneNote 2013.  It asked me to login, but it wouldn't let me.  I've had this problem consistently with all our OneNote installs, I think it is trying to connect to a non corporate account.

If you click the x to close the login screen, OneNote creates a new notebook called "My Notebook".  The default location for this is on my personal drive inside our corporate network.  

If I go to Account, it shows me as being logged in using my proper E3 license and Office Pro

Click Info - There is huge text "Share Across Devices"  Subtext says "To access a notebook on other computers or phones, share the notebook on the web".  Sounds good, I'll click the gigantic button next to the text.

That takes me to the share section where I have three choices.  Sharepoint, OneDrive for biz, or OneDrive personal.  Personal isn't an option.

I'll ask the question again.  Where am I supposed to save the file for sharing across multiple devices?  I've been doing it this way for at least a year now and it only broke on my iDevices with the last release of the iOS app (from what I can tell)

As far as Gerry explaining the sync issues, I appreciate the input but I'm not clear on the point.  I guess I need it dumbed down a bit.

Thanks

- Brad

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You can save the file in ANY document library you want. Just as long as you are NOT syncing that library down to your machine. IF you do not sync the library, then its a good place to put the OneNote file.

The OneNote Desktop application will be doing the syncing, you do not want to use OneDrive for Business to sync the file.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I guess I'll just open a support case.  perhaps they will actually explain the issue or point me to some reference material the explains all this.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What issue?

Let me try to make this easier for you.

When you put files in your "OneDrive", that is just a SharePoint Document library.The files will live inside that document library. If you want to sync those files down to your machine, then you would click the "Sync" button and it will start the "OneDrive for Business Sync Client". That client will keep those files in sync on your machine.

When you sync those documents, you see the files in your windows explorer. There is also another copy of all your data in a folder you cannot see. This is called the Cache folder. So, if you have 10Gigs in the cloud, when you sync that library down to your machine, you will have 10Gigs on your machine in the OneDrive for Business folder, and you will actually have another 10Gigs in the Cache folder.

So, now lets talk about OneNote.

When you sync a OneNote file down to your machine, you do NOT want it to create another cache copy on your machine. This can mess up your notebook and mess up the sync. You also do NOT need to sync this OneNote file with OneDrive for business.

The OneNote desktop app on your machine will be able to connect to any OneNote file, no matter where it is, and it will keep that file in sync. PLEASE LISTEN TO WHAT IM SAYING.. The "OneNote Desktop App" will keep the file in sync, no matter where it is.

So, you want to put the OneNote file in a Document library in SharePoint. You DO NOT want to sync that library down to your machine with OneDrive for Business.

You can open the OneNote file in your OneNote desktop app and it will stay in sync because the OneNote Desktop app is doing the syncing.

So, here are your steps

1. Login to the Office 365 portal,

2. Click on "OneDrive"

3. Click the gear on the top right, clcik on "Site Contents"

4. You can either use the "Site Assets" library or you can create a new document library. I use Site Assest.

5. Upload your OneNote file to this "Site Assest" library, or move it somehow.

6. Click on the OneNote file in the Browser, it will open up OneNote Web Client in the browser

7. Once its open in the browser, just click "Open in OneNote'

At this time, The file will open in OneNote Desktop app, and that link to that file will stay in Sync. So anytime you edit the OneNote Notebook, it will sync those changes up to the file online.

If you repeat this process with your other machines then you will be fine. Each machine will sync back to the cloud

I hope this is clear enough for you, if you have any other questions or need something else answers, just ask

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

OK, well, that explains the sync issue everyone was eluding to in prior posts.  Thanks.  I get the issue with consuming excess space.  I looked at my OneNote folder, in the local copy of my OneDrive and the only thing there is a 1k stub file "MyOneNote.ms-one-stub"

When I'm in OneDrive in my browser, and I open the gear icon to select Site Contents, across the top the "OneDrive" title changes to "Newsfeed".  Adding a site asset isn't an option (when clicking "Add an app"".  Document library is the only option

I created a document library.  Created a test OneNote notebook.  Clicked Open in OneNote, which it did.  

I opened my iPhone app, clicked "Open More" and oddly enough, not only did that notebook present itself, all my other notebooks ... the one in my OneDrive and a team notebook we have in Sharepoint.  Nothing was listed over the weekend.

I launched OneNote on my iPad and there is nothing.  I deleted my account on the iPad (in OneNote), re logged in, and now it is showing all my notebooks.

This seems to have been some issue with the app not refreshing or something?

The big question I have at this point is if having the file in OneDrive is really that big of a deal if it is simply creating a stub file in the local copy of OneDrive folder.  I'm not connecting to that file, if I look at the Info screen when that file is open, it is looking out to the actual OneDrive location

xxxx-my.sharepoint.com/.../OneNote.aspx  

This is the path of the file my local OneNote has open

[The URL is masked by MSFT Support.]

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 16, 2020 Views 9,834 Applies to: