Can't open files in Protected View

I have Windows 10 and Office 365 and have been using for a while.  Recently it seems I can not open any excel or word files in protected view.  This was not a problem previously, but seems all of a sudden all files get hung up trying to open in protected view and I have to force quit the program.  I have read several posts suggesting to go to Trust Center and remove the "open in protected mode" for Outlook attachments, but I do not want to remove this feature of protection.   

Does anyone have another solution for why files will not open in protected view or any other solution other than disabling the open in protected view"? 

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

To resolve the issue we need some information. Let us know the following:

1. Is this issue happening for all Excel files being opened in Excel 2013 or just a few?
  2. While opening Excel files do you see the button Enable Editing which allows you to edit the files while opening Excel files in Protected View? If yes, press the Enable Editing button and check if this helps to open the Excel Files?

Check the above and let us know.

Thank you.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

In my case the file never loads and you do not get a button to enable editing.

Excel indicates the file is corrupt, an error opening the file or Excel locks up and you have to kill it with Task Manager.  The problem occurs opening an outlook 2013 attachment or trying to open an attachment that was saved to a drive. The files are not corrupt, I can forward the files to other people and they can open them fine.  I can open files I created locally, but cannot open any file received by email.  I disable all three Protected View settings in Trust Center to be able to open the files. With protected view turned off the files open without a problem.

I also have the same problem with Word.

This started happening on 11/11/2015 after updates were installed on Windows 10.

Updates installed and rebooted my computer automatically even though I had Word and Excel documents still open.

I tried to correct the problem by repairing Office 365 Pro Plus,  that did not work.

I then uninstalled and reinstalled Office 365 Pro Plus, that did not help either.

50 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1.Just excel and word files from outlook attachments as far as I can tell so far. 

2. The files never open. It tries to open them automatically in protected view, but they never open and it freezes up excel or word and I have to force quit the program to do anything else.  

If I uncheck open in protected view, I think it will open.  But I am looking for a solution that will allow me to continue to open outlook attachments in protected view as it is designed. 

Thank you

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I experienced exactly the same. Very annoying. 

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Nice thread, but wasn't clear on how it helps me?  I have office 365 and assume programs are constantly updated?   So I should have latest updates I think.  

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Protected View implementation is still not perfect. Till MS releases a fix which flows into as automatic update, the only choice left is what you don't want to do.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mohan, I'm experiencing this exact same issue. To answer your questions in my case see below.

1. It happens with every Excel and Word file that attempts to open in protected view.

2. The file never opens so there is no opportunity to see the Enable Editing button.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have now unchecked all  boxes in Trust Center Settings to eliminate opening in protected view.  I still have files that Excel tries to open in protected view.... but they will never open.  The excel graphic says "opening in protected view" but the file never opens.  Not sure why it continues to try and open it in protected view.  I waited several minutes to see what would happen but it still seems to be hung up in the "opening in protected view" state indefinitely.  Any other suggestions on how to solve this?  

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK so I discovered a way to open the file.  I actually was able to open the file in excel on my iPad (through Dropbox) and the file opened.  In order to enable editing on iPad Excel it said i needed to convert the file.  I converted the file and renamed it to a new name.  Now I can also open this file from my laptop on Excel.  Not sure what or why this happened. 

I went back and enabled the "open in protected view" feature for outlook attachments on my PC Excel just to see if it would work now.  No luck.  Still will not open excel file from outlook in protected view.  I guess I will just have to keep this disabled.  Anyway, this whole "open in protected view" feature definitely needs some work. Hope this is helpful. 

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 18, 2021 Views 65,536 Applies to: