Can't find the Microsoft Auto Updater on my Mac

Original Title: "AutoUpdate"
I may need to update my copy of Excel for Mac.  Apparently this is done (automatically or manually) with something called Microsoft Updater, which supposedly comes as part of the Microsoft suite.  That's all that Excel's help menu tells me.  However, I can't find any file or application called "AutoUpdate" on my computer.  Is there another name for the program that I can search for?  Where does one actually go to begin the update process?  I wouldn't expect this to be a problem, but apparently I'm too dumb to figure it out on my own.
Answer
Answer

It's actually called Microsoft AutoUpdate and its in the Home Directory. [CORRECTION: The MAU is NOT in Home Directory. It is located in the main Library > Application Support > Microsoft > MAU2.0 folder.]

However, easiest way to locate it is while in Excel, go to Help > Look for Updates.

When comes on, the AutoUpdate will show up in the Dock. click on the icon for Microsoft AutoUpdate  wait until  menu pops up. Look for Options then  choose Keep in Dock.  Then you can select  it any time you want to check.

Oh BY The Way:
 restart the Computer in Safe Mode (Shift key down while restarting).

Open excel and run updater.

Repair Permissions.

Then restart computer  then open excel should be updated with no problems.

If you get a notice you need to update Database during install, do it. press okay when asked.

If my reply has helped, mark accordingly - Helpful or Answer
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.

30 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
It's actually called Microsoft AutoUpdate and its in the Home Directory.

Hmm... When I installed Office 2011, Microsoft AutoUpdate was automatically placed in the 

Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/MAU2.0/

directory, not the Home directory. I suppose the location may depend on whether Office was installed in the user's account or was installed to be available to all users on the machine.

If the OP isn't getting Microsoft AutoUpdate to open when choosing Excel Help/Check for Updates, they may need to, with all other applications closed, run the Disk Utility application to Repair Permissions. 

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 3, 2024 Views 63,100 Applies to: