Can’t delete a section break

Hi,

I have the latest version of Word on my Mac and had an issue with some white space I couldn’t delete. Having revealed all of the nonprinting characters there is a section break at the end of a line in my thesis bibliography, and no matter what I do I can't get rid of it. I cannot highlight it nor is there character before it such as the inverted p

Can anyone help?

Answer
Answer

Mark,

This was your response in the other thread. I'm trying to keep everything in one.

"

Hi Charles,

My version is 16.9.1 I am trying to get rid of this section break and all of the white space below it.  It has been highlighted as an issue in my thesis and I HAVE to get rid of it somehow but deleting the 2017 just moves it to the line above and I still can't find a way to get rid of it.

In answer to an earlier question, I'm using Word for Mac 16.01 running on High Sierra, 10.13.3

________________________________________________End of quoted material

My thoughts...

OK.

It is not the last section break but a Next Page Section Break.

You are in Print Preview.

Try inserting a continuous section break just before it. Then try deleting the continuous one. Again, no experience on a Mac.

For me to delete a section break I simply put the insertion point in front of it and press the Delete key. In your case that would be immediately after 2017.

Again, work with copies because you can really mess up a document deleting section breaks.

If you can get your thesis on a Windows machine with Word, you could use the Word Toolkit for Advanced Management of Headers and Footers which really can give you an idea of what is going on  with sections.

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

What follows the Section Break other than "white space"? It isn't clear whether the Section Break is at the end of the bibliography or somewhere within it. Is there any additional document content? Are there any endnotes?

If not, with the insertion marker at the beginning of the Section Break;

• If you have a standard keyboard press the Forward Delete [del] key
  • If you have an abbreviated keyboard use fn+delete, or
  • On either, press Shift+➡︎ then press delete

AI: Artificial Intelligence or Automated Idiocy???

Few tools work well if you don’t learn to use them.

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing." - Alexander Pope

Regards,
Bob J.

421 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 11, 2024 Views 114,864 Applies to: