Can't change file association to Excel from Windows Store

Hello,

I have a Dell workstation with preinstalled windows and office 2016 from Windows Store. I need to make file association .xml -> Excel. 

The problem is I don't see Excel in App list, it's not installed in a default directory like for instance Program Files/Microsoft/Office, but in AppData/Local/Microsoft/excel (not exact path). When I browse manually I can open this excel app (0 kB) and everything is ok, but when I want to make an association to it I get "Permission denied". I tried to change it in regedit but with no luck, I can't even find the app.

Can you please help me with it? I tried basically everything I found on the internet, with no results. I need to change it for a user without admin permissions, so when I open regedit as admin does HKEY_CURRENT_USER show current user as admin or user which is currently logged in?

Thanks in advance.

Question Info

Last updated February 9, 2019 Views 54 Applies to:

Hi AxellPL,

There’s a possibility that the current user profile you’re using on your Windows 10 PC is corrupted. To have this concern isolated, I’d suggest that you try creating a new local user and then try to perform the file association from there. See this article.

Once you’re done creating a new local user, try to verify if you’ll be able to see Excel in the list of applications when performing the file association. If so, then it’s confirmed that the issue has something to do with the profile being used initially.

Please respond to this thread to let me know how the issue progresses. Similarly, if you have more questions, please inform me by replying to this post.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Louie,

thank you for your response! This problem currently occurs on 20 Dell workstations, I created new users on all of them, but nothing has changed. It looks like the Office version from Windows Store is really strange and bugged. The only solution I found is Office re-installation, but basically, it's not a solution but an escape from the problem with Office from Windows Store. In the near future, I will have to install tens or hundreds of these workstations and reinstalling Office on each of them will consume a lot of time. There are also problems with "send to: mail recipient", nothing happens when I try to use this function, I also tried everything I found, but it's impossible to create proper association when there is no proper application I can refer to.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi AxellPL,

We appreciate the additional information that you provided. Since the issue is occurring on multiple workstations, we would need to confirm if the computers are connected to the network or domain of your company. 

If yes, we suggest to contact your company's IT administrator and inform them about the concern. If you are the IT administrator, it will be best to get in touch with our Professional Support Team. Use these links as your reference: 

If you have additional questions let us know by replying to this thread.

Sorry this didn't help.