Cannot save a Word document anywhere...

I'm using Mac with the latest version of Sierra (10.12.2) and Office 365 Home (all apps updated to latest versions) and cannot save a document in Word. I get the following error:

"Word cannot save this document due to a naming or permissions error on the destination volume"

I get this error no matter what format or location I try to save the document on the local hard drive, in any folder, or on a USB flash drive. If I try to save a document to our network server I get the following error:

"Word cannot save or create this file.

The disk may be full or write-protected.
Try one or more of the following:

* Free more memory

* Make sure that the disk you want to save the file on is not full, write-protected, or damaged."

Things I've tried with no success:

- Updated Sierra to latest version

- Updated all Office apps to latest version

- Removed and reinstalled Office three times, with a combination of reboots

- Re-downloaded and installed the Office package from the Microsoft website

- Checked and confirmed all permissions on the network server and all folders I'm trying to save to have read and write privileges (also I'm the Admin)

- Checked and confirmed any kind of permissions and to me it all seems fine

After spending hours googling for solutions I kept coming across the ".TemporaryItems" fix - I've created this folder in the root of my network drive and in various folders including the root on my Mac HD to no avail. All the permissions on these folders are set to allow reading and writing etc. I've also spoken to a guy on Microsoft live chat who connected to my Mac via remote desktop; after 2 hours he concluded he couldn't fix it. Also in response to the memory error I'm using a top spec iMac with 24GB of ram, and plenty of storage on all hard drives.

This is really driving me mad and I'm missing deadlines at work because of the time spent trying to fix this issue, if anyone could shed some light on how to resolve this it would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Mark

Answer
Answer

Then you are suffering from a couple of the Save bugs that Microsoft has been trying to solve. They were there all summer into the fall, disappeared around 15.27 and now they're back. AFAIK, these bugs are model specific to newer Macs. I'm, using an old Mac Mini and haven't seen a single instance of these problems.

I read of someone who was on the Insider program and posted that 15.31, the next update, solved the issues for them, but it may or may not do the same for you. If you want to try, choose Help>Check for Updates, check the option to join the Insider program on the Slow track. Then download and install 15.31 and see if it fixes the issues.

Author of "OOXML Hacking - Unlocking Microsoft Office's Secrets", ebook now out
John Korchok, Production Manager
production@brandwares.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,217 Applies to: