cannot open excel file in android.

When attempting to open excel files on my Android, i continue to get a message stating that it is not able to open due to password protection. The file is not password protected since it is coming from one of our businesses. MS states that it is the OneDrive yet OneDrive states that it is a MS Excel Office issue.
Hello,

I am an independent adviser, and I am trying to help other users in Community with my experience in Microsoft products.

This can happen if the file was created and saved as an .XLS file in Excel 2016, 2010, 2007 or 2003 or if the file was saved in a format currently not supported on Android or Windows Mobile, such as .XLT or .XLTX.

To avoid this problem, open the password protected file in Excel on a Windows desktop PC or on a Mac, and then save it as a different Excel file type that works on Android or Windows Mobile, such as .XLSX. Once you've saved the file in the new file format you should be able to open it without a problem in Excel for Android or Excel Mobile for Windows.

For more information, go to Error when opening password-protected files on Android or Windows Mobile: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/error-...

Thanks.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Avinash,

I appreciate your reply and the direction you mention is the same process that MS did themselves. They converted an .xls to an .xlsx file and it still would not ope on my Android. Here is what the message reads:

"Excel cannot open the file 'PRW - Linda.xlsx' because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has no been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file."

After looking at and attempting to open 3 files that MS support created from the original .xls file, they too do not open for the same reason. Perhaps they did not save the file properly?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thanks for replying back,

It usually indicates the file is not compatible with the Excel version or the file has come corrupt or damaged. Please go through this link and follow the steps mentioned in it to get rid of this error: https://www.easeus.com/file-recovery/excel-cann...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Regards

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So after I saved the original file that was .xls on the laptop, I was able to convert it to the .xlsx format and it opened on the Android.

But the question that still comes around is how to have the Android open the docs? Perhaps it needs to have the original doc saved with the new .xlsx extension?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jeff,

Following on Avinash's advice, the doc should have the file extension supported by Android to be able to open the file on your Android device.

Thanks and regards,
Anna

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Anna! With the advise provided and the test run with the .xlsx extension on the sending side, we were able to open on Android. It was on the sending side that was the primary along with my lack of knowledge that the Android needed the X extension.

Thanks for the advise. Case closed!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Glad to know that this case is closed. If you don't have any additional questions, please feel free to choose a rating.

Have a great day/night! Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 29, 2024 Views 11,803 Applies to: