Cannot log into my Hotmail address in windows Outlook but can on Outlook.com

I added my Hotmail account over a month ago to Outlook 2019 + password.

However today I noticed that Outlook now requires a password for this account. However when I click on password at the bottom of the page, i see the following 

when i click next i see 

i have no idea what this means. When i click next I see 

I have NO idea what User ID it is asking for 

In ANY CASE , I am able to log in to my account on Outlook.com 

I have 3 other Hotmail accounts in Outlook 2019 and they are OK -

I did remove this account from 2019 but when i try and re-add the account i see the screens above and see the same every time i reopen Outlook 2019.

I did do on online repair for Office 2019 but this didnt change anything

Does anyone have any idea what is going on??? Is this an issue on MS side??

In earlier versions of Office/outlook there was a limitation of 3x Hotmail accounts

Can you add this Hotmail account the win10 mail app?

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

i have always had 4 hotmail accounts active in windows outlook for a number of ytears through 2010 and 2013 versions.

i also have outlook on my other machine with the same hotmail address and it is fine.

what is win10 mail app?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i have been able to add this account via win10 mail app - so no problem there! 

However when i try and add it via desktop outlook, i still see the same issues. 

I reinstalled Outlook and this time when i tried to add this account i saw the traditional email config page. However when i tried the automatic configuration, whilst it was searching for this account, the small window asking for the password popped up. I input the password and clicked submit but i saw another error message i.e.

when i closed this 'cant reach page' window, the email config window continued and added the account as an exchange active sync account i.e.

I then decided to see what would happen if i removed this account on my other machine and re-add it. Perhaps not surprisingly, i saw the same issue i..e. it cant find my account !!

I decided to create a completely new Hotmail account to get some idea if it was my machine of Outlook.com.

After  successfully creating the new Hotmail account online, i went back to desktop outlook and tried to add this new account but saw the following !

in my mind there must be an issue with MS servers(??????)

please someone help with this utterly frustrating issue

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Further to my previous message, I noticed when i created a new Hotmail account, i saw that I had the option to also create an outlook.com account via Outlook.com. 

I decided to create an outlook.com account and see what happened. 

I successfully created an outlook account and verified when i sent an email to myself. 

I then successfully added it to my Desktop Outlook app - however i was asked for the password a MILLION times which was extremely frustrating before it finally added the account. I then had to restart Outlook and when i reopened I was AGAIN!! asked for the password ! Anyway, the outlook.com account was successfully added. 

From what I can determine, whilst Outlook.com offers the option to either create a new Hotmail.com OR Outlook.com account, whilst I can add ALL these accounts to the WIN10 Mail app, the desktop Outlook will NOT accept/recognise any further Hotmail accounts. There is a real issue here!!!

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

AN UPDATE:

I have tried the following without any success.

1. DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth 
2. SCF /scannow and 
3. repair Office online 
4. verified each account with a code being sent to my backup email address.

Later on that day I was able to create a new Hotmail account and new Outlook.com account and successfully added both of them to Outlook 2019. 

At the weekend (Saturday 2 May) I made contact with MS support via the Get Help link in Settings. I had a remote session which lasted over 2 hrs. In the end the MS agent wasn’t able to resolve the issue and suggested that the account was corrupted somehow. (never received an email with case reference – don’t know why?)

On 6 May, Outlook 2019 decided to request passwords for another 2 of my Hotmail accounts and I experienced exactly the same issues as with the 1st account that was blocked. 

No matter what I tried, I could NOT add these Hotmail accounts to Outlook 2019.

I decided to uninstall Office 2019 using the Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant and install my previous office installation Office 2013 pro.

Once installed I WAS able to add ALL MY HOTMAIL ACCOUNTS!

On 7 May, I uninstalled Office 2013 using Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant and reinstalled Office 2019. 

Once installed I found that in addition to the 3 previously blocked Hotmail accounts, the new Hotmail account I had recently created was also being blocked by a password request as above! 

Fortunately, the newly created Outlook.com account seems to be fine.

However, at every step along the way I was able to sign into each account via Outlook.com and the WIN10 Mail app. 

In settings/ all accounts I see the following

What is curious is why have these emails been duplicated?  Why are there 2 lists?  What is the difference between the 2 lists?

Incidentally the error message I see when trying to sign in to a Hotmail account suggests a connection to Office 365 ?  Or am I barking up the wrong tree. 
i.e.

I used to have 2 work related Office 365 accounts on my machine but these should now be dormant as I have left these companies??

I also installed Office 2019 on my laptop and have observed identical behaviour. This strongly suggests that the issue is Microsoft related (????)  This afternoon when I logged into Outlook 2019 on my laptop I was blocked out of the same Hotmail accounts as above.

This issue has become extremely frustrating and I don’t know where else to go to seek advice and guidance on a solution. 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have exactly the same issue today!!!
That is insane. My mail functions anywhere else but outlook win 10 app.

At first I thought there might be any time of malware. I am trying to fix it 4 hours now with a ton of ways but no fix.

These random issues with any valid cause and no solution are super disturbing. I would relly appreciate a solution on that MS..
it seems that the problem is with some @hotmail.com accounts.....

i have been able to add this account via win10 mail app - so no problem there! 

However when i try and add it via desktop outlook, i still see the same issues. 

I reinstalled Outlook and this time when i tried to add this account i saw the traditional email config page. However when i tried the automatic configuration, whilst it was searching for this account, the small window asking for the password popped up. I input the password and clicked submit but i saw another error message i.e.

when i closed this 'cant reach page' window, the email config window continued and added the account as an exchange active sync account i.e.

I then decided to see what would happen if i removed this account on my other machine and re-add it. Perhaps not surprisingly, i saw the same issue i..e. it cant find my account !!

I decided to create a completely new Hotmail account to get some idea if it was my machine of Outlook.com.

After  successfully creating the new Hotmail account online, i went back to desktop outlook and tried to add this new account but saw the following !

in my mind there must be an issue with MS servers(??????)

please someone help with this utterly frustrating issue

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Today, without warning, i saw a small popup window appear from the bottom right hand side advising there is a problem with a Microsoft account and told me to click here. When i did so i saw

after clicking 'fix now' i saw the following

this account is ALREADY in the list of added hotmail accounts in Win10 mail app and Outlook.com in Settings but i was able to add it to Desktop Outlook cos of the error i kept seeing as above.

after adding password i saw 

after putting in alternate email, i saw the following

after inputting the code i saw

the account is automatically added to desktop Outlook 

it would appear that this is a Microsoft issue but i dont understand how/why the system suddenly realises that there is a 'problem with a Microsoft account' ?!

As i still CANNOT manually add the other Hotmail accounts, i guess i will have to wait until the 'system' discovers a 'problem' with the outstanding Microsoft accounts and put it right as above.

NOT a satisfactory situation !!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i CANNOT EFFING BELIEVE IT !!!  After i submitting the most recent post above, i decided to see if i could add the 3 outstanding accounts to my desktop Outlook and I COULD !! 

And this was without providing a password !!

So after wasting all that time last week trying to sort this out, in the end the 'system' sorted itself out !!  I am furious with Microsoft !

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 26, 2022 Views 526 Applies to: