Cannot Install Microsoft Office Home & Student

Recently purchased a new desktop, an HP that runs Windows 8.  Last Friday, we purchased Microsoft Home & Student to run some things.  Everything was going fine, payment went through, and we received an email confirmation with an activation code and a receipt.

First thing that happened was the program installed and everything seemed to be running along fine, however after the installation completed my computer screen got really odd, like a static TV screen, and then restarted without warning.  The computer is new so Thursday and Friday were the only days it had been running for, and this was the first instance it restarted without warning.  I know how restart usually goes, and it was abnormal as far as they go.

Upon the computer turning back on, there was an icon available to click into Microsoft Office however it would not work and insisted it needed to be reinstalled.

Upon attempting to reinstall there was an error message.  The first 10 or so error messages recommended that I "fix/repair" the program on my computer, since it successfully "installed" but it would not open or actually work.  So I did that, and it did not help.  Each time it would get to about 45-50% through and give me the same error message that suggested I repair.

I then "chatted" with a representative that suggested uninstalling and then clicking the green "install" button on my acct page.  This did nothing to help except that I now get a new error message.

"Office

Couldn't Install

We're sorry, we had a problem installing your program(s).

Is your internet connection working?  Do you have enough free space on your hard drive?

Please try installing again after you've checked the above"

We have wireless connection, I've tried on two different networks, and it still will not work.  I have also tried the installation in both Internet Explorer (Friday) and then Google Chrome today.  I also clicked on the bottom message that allowed me to explore more troubleshooting options, but so far have had no luck.  The computer is brand new so has never had any other Office installations, but I ran the "fix it" option when going through other troubleshooting suggestions.  I have also disabled my firewall/security for brief periods of time attempting to install in case it was keeping the program from going ahead but that has had no impact either.

I'm pretty tech-savvy, so I believe I've tried the basics of getting it to work.  I have never worked with this kind of desktop before, however, since it is new, so I'm a little slow navigating it and that may be slowing down my problem-solving skills also.  Help me out, kind Office helpers!

Hailey Brown

Responsible Transportation

before you even start this, the EULA for Home and Student expressly forbids use for commercial purposes....

You can subscribe to Office 365 Personal for £5 or US$8 (I think) per month which as far as I am aware has no limitation on business use.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Gordon,

Okay, thank you for your information.  I'm just the secretary so I buy whatever is listed to me.  Thank you for your advice, although if there is an installation problem with Home & Student, that will probably be no different for installing or buying anything else.

So before I spend additional money on other Microsoft products, I need to know if they are going to work or not and how to address the installation issues that are happening here.

Thanks,

Hailey Brown

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK. First of all, if it's a new machine then it's highly likely that there's a trial version of Office already installed.

Go to Control Panel>Uninstall a Program and remove all instances of Office.

Reboot.

Then try installing your paid-for version again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Gordon, 

Before I bought Office I uninstalled all extras on the computer, therefore there was no Office already installed when attempting to install the new one.  Perhaps I uninstalled something vital to being able to put Office on the computer?  I'm unsure if that's a possibility but maybe...

I have been to Control Panel>Uninstall and searched for all instances that Office would occur on my computer and it turns up 0 results.  So I know nothing is on there to keep the current version from successfully downloading.

The only area on my entire computer that references Office is my "recent downloads," there are many instances of my failed downloads sitting that went absolutely nowhere.

I feel like I'm being such a pain, I'm sorry!  I don't know what the issue could be here.  But I tried the uninstall, reinstall thing already.  At one point after I had installed the paid-for version, there was an Office option in my programs, but I uninstalled it to attempt to reinstall as a remedy last Friday, and it just changed the error message I get now when attempting to install the program.

Thanks again for your advice.

Thanks,

Hailey Brown

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try this:

Stop and start or restart Microsoft Office Service
following the  instructions belowt:

(If you are unable to click Start
or Apply option, you may choose manual
option from the drop down instead of Automatic, click apply and then switch
back to Automatic and then try to start it).

1. Hold Windows key +R.

Copy and paste, or type the following command in the Open box, and
then press Enter:

services.msc

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for
confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

2. In the Services list,
double-click Microsoft Office Service.

3. In the Windows Installer
Properties
dialog box, click Automatic in
the Startup type list.

4. Click Start, click Apply, and then click OK.

5. Start the software installation.

If that does not help, then the only option now is to completely
remove all traces of Office 365/ Office 2013 from the computer and then
re-install it. You may remove all traces of Office 2013 installation by running
the fixit from the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501

Now download and install Office 365 by logging into www.office.com/myaccount with the registered email address and click Install
Office.

From <http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_365hp-office_install/unable-to-install-ms-office-on-windows-8-laptop/d47f1dcf-552f-4477-a0ed-98dc69b36313>

More help
here:

Something
went wrong" error when you install Office 2013 or Office 365

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2827031/en-gb

General
Troubleshooting for installing

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2822317/en-gb

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I will go try the first suggestion, however I already tried the latter with the "fixit" deal when I was doing the troubleshooting options Office has listed on their website.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Gordon,

Good morning!  I thought I would just update you on my progress.  The suggestions you gave were good, however there must be a deeper underlying problem with the computer.  I'm thinking when my boss had a majority of things that came programmed on the computer uninstalled, it may have taken out something important or messed with how the Office installation went, although I have been able to download and install other things aside from Office.

I found out today that we have an IT guy that can access my computer remotely, so I installed LogMeIn and we shall see today if that solves any problems.  Otherwise, my uncle works for Microsoft to some degree so I will call him afterwards if that doesn't help.

My boss said we probably need to get Office 365 anyways, based on what you've said.  But hopefully we can still figure out how to fix whatever issue Microsoft Office and my computer are having.

Thanks again for your patience and help on the subject, as well as the information you've given!

Hailey Brown

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You're welcome!

Hope you manage to sort it.....

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 422 Applies to: