Cannot connect to westnet account using Outlook 2013

I have a new PC with Windows 8 and Office 2013. All working fine except I cannot connect to my westnet.com.au account in Outlook. I CAN connect successfully to my hotmail account but when try adding the westnet account and click the Test Account Settings button it gives the following error ** Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).**

I have tried the following to resolve the problem;

1. Contacting the ISP - they say there is no problem with the server as I can connect to it using internet explorer on the same computer;

2. setting up a new profile with a different name and attempting to connect to westnet through that;

3. reinstalling Office 2013.

None of these have worked and I continue to get the same error. Help?

Hi Nik,

Thank you for choosing Microsoft Community and providing us an opportunity to assist you. As I understand, you’re having difficulties in setting up the Westnet account in Outlook 2013. Do not worry, let me help you with this issue.

Have you confirmed the incoming port numbers and encryption type with Westnet?

This error occurs when Outlook is unable to connect to the incoming mail server, and this usually happens if the account is not configured correctly in Outlook. For some email accounts, providing the basic information like account type and server names may not be enough to configure the account correctly. You might need to provide additional settings like the port numbers, encryption type etc. and you should confirm these settings with your email provider. Refer to the article below for more information regarding these additional settings:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/add-an-email-account-with-custom-settings-or-when-automatic-setup-doesnt-work-HA102809419.aspx

If you’ve confirmed all the additional settings and still face this issue, you may contact your ISP and check if the concerned incoming ports are being blocked on the computer. If it’s blocked, you’ll have to ask them to unblock or reset the ports and check if that helps.

Hope that helps. Let us know in case you need further information. We’ll be glad to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2021 Views 602 Applies to: