Cannot change recovery verification phone number for a client

Hi All,

I'm trying to change the verification number that microsoft use when logging into a windows 10 pro laptop using the O365 account, however, the end user has changed their mobile number and thus the verification code is going to completely the wrong number now.

I've done some digging on the net and one post mentioned setting the mobile number on their O365 profile page would do the trick - nope. I've found another post that give you instructions on how to do it (see below) however, when I select the 'register for password reset' it again sends a verification code out to the old number. I get the same issue if I select the 'Additional security verification' option.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_o365admin-mso_manage/cannot-change-recovery-verification-phone-number/39eaeca5-173a-44bf-8f92-aa3692f91173

If I select one of the options and then chose the link 'Use a different verification option' it then offers to call me on yep you guessed it the same number...

Can anyone point me in the right direction, the client doesn't have or need an Azure subscription (the above article suggests it can be done via that) any help would be most appreciated.

Chris.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Chris,

Please try accessing the following URL directly: https://account.activedirectory.windowsazure.com/PasswordReset/Register.aspx with your Office 365 account.  If users have set verification phone number before, they should be able to see the screenshot below. Then they can change the phone number via clicking the Change button.

If it is not your scenario, please capture a screenshot of the page after you access the URL above.

Regards,

Sky Pei

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Sky Pei,

Unfortunately it produces the same result as shown below

As you can see because they no longer have access to the above number we cannot reset this number and thus I cannot complete the configuration of the Windows 10 office 365 sign in.

Chris.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Chris,

According to the screenshot, I would presume that you want to change the end user’s authentication phone for Multi-factor authentication(MFA) not for recovery verification.

The administrator can temporarily disable the multi-factor authentication for the user, then enable it again, the user will be asked to reset the phone when he log into Office 365 portal.

To disable MFA, sign into Office 365 portal with your admin account > Admin center > Active Users > More > Setup azure multi-factor auth > select the user > quick steps > Disable.

Regards,
Linda

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Linda,

Thanks for getting back to me, MFA isn't enabled for the client so unfortunately this isn't the solution for me.

I'm signing into a Windows 10 Pro laptop using the end users O365 account, as per usual it asks me to configure a secure PIN to use rather than a password. It's at this point it sends out a verification code to the number she no longer has access to.

It's that number I need to change.

Thanks

Chris.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your detailed information.

Please check the methods in this article: Having trouble with two-step verification . If your affected user hasn't configured an alternative phone number, admin should help him clear his settings so the next time he signs in, he will be prompted to set up his account again.

You can try the following steps:

1.Admin logs into this URL: https://account.activedirectory.windowsazure.com/UserManagement/MultifactorVerification.aspx?culture=en-US&BrandContextID=O365 -> select affected user ->on the right, click Manage user settings -> on the pop-up window, select Required selected users to provide contact methods again and save.

2.Affected user accesses this URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?linkid=524980 and should be able to change the Authentication phone.

Regards,

Sky Pei

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sky Pei

Thanks for getting back to me. I've done as you asked and the 2nd link throws up a message stating:

"We're sorry but your administrator hasn't enabled you to register at this time"

Again, the client isn't using Multi Factor Authentication - they just need the phone number resetting for the verification codes you send out when logging into a Windows 10 machine for the 1st time and configuring PIN access rather than normal password access.

Thanks

Chris.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your update. But I'm talking the authentication phone not MFA.

According to the message "We're sorry but your administrator hasn't enabled you to register at this time" and as you don't have azure subscription, please try the following workaround to check the outcome.

1.Admin goes to Office 365 admin portal -> active users and select the affected user -> assign him with the global admin role temporarily.

2.Let the affected user access this URL: https://account.activedirectory.windowsazure.com/PasswordReset/Register.aspx. At this time, he should be able to change the phone and will not see the error "We're sorry but your administrator hasn't enabled you to register at this time" or the screenshot you attached above

3.After he changes the phone number, un-assign the global admin role with him.

Please share any updates when you have time.

Regards,

Sky Pei

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sky Pei,

I've got a little bit further. However, it appears the mobile number was never verified so the change option isn't available for the mobile number as shown on the attached screenshot.

As I can't verify the number I don't have the option to reset it.

Chris.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your update.

For the current situation, please let the affected user access this URL: https://account.activedirectory.windowsazure.com/Proofup.aspx and check if he can change it . If the issue persists, please provide the following information:

1.A screenshot of the page after you access the URL above.

2.Your tenant information. Since it involves PII, going forward, I will move this conversation to Private message to obtain such details. You can access it via this link: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/privatemessages/list

Thanks,

Sky Pei

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Chris,

Is there any update?

Thanks,

Sky Pei

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 1, 2024 Views 23,375 Applies to: