Can you add an Apple Passkey security key to a non-personal Microsoft account?

Hi,

I’m trying to add an Apple Passkey security key to my business Microsoft account (I have setup all the settings in Azure Active Directory, etc.) but every time I go to set it up, I get to the part where I have to name the key, and whenever I press “Next” which will save the key to the account, it just says it can’t be done and to try again. I’ve gone through all the help articles, and I know it’s not on the list of supported security keys, however, it works when I’m adding it to other tenants such as all of my personal Microsoft accounts, just not this particular tenant.

Is this just a temporary limitation of non-personal accounts, or is there something in the AAD settings I’m missing?

I’ve been troubleshooting this for some time now with multiple Microsoft Support agents, trying everything we can all think of to no avail.

Thanks.

Dear DJ.Lacky,

Good day! Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community. We are happy to help you.

Based on your description, I understand that you have a query "Can you add an Apple Passkey security key to a non-personal Microsoft account?" 

In my understanding, this apple passkey may work like other passwordless security keys, in Passwordless security key sign-in - Azure Active Directory - Microsoft Entra | Microsoft Learn, Microsoft provided the requirements and preparations for enabling security key based passwordless authentication for enterprises (Business accounts), you mentioned that you are able to add the Apple Passkey security to other tenants, do you mean other business accounts? If so, have you checked the settings for that account where it worked?

Have a look in Passwordless authentication is now generally available! - Microsoft Community Hub for passwordless authentication management.

Please understand that our initial reply may not always immediately resolve the issue. However, with your help and more detailed information, we can work together to find a solution. Thank you for your cooperation. Stay Safe!

Sincerely,

De Paul | Microsoft Community Moderator

Sincerely
De Paul | Microsoft Community Moderator

-----------------------Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here-----------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi De Paul,

Thanks for your message.

I was able to add it to my personal Microsoft accounts (i.e. not other business accounts, but assumedly Microsoft uses the same Azure AD to setup the same personal account tenant?). I haven’t tried setting up using another business account/tenant that uses a different subscription to mine as I am not apart of one, however, I have tried setting up a new tenant through Azure AD with my subscription and in fact trying to setup a temporary one using a trial subscription, however, I receive the same response when trying to add the key. It looks like it’s going to add successful, and in fact the URL says the FIDO provisioning is successful but when I click “Next” after naming the key it returns the error message.

Thanks.

---

Christopher Malone - Lacky
https://www.DJLacky.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear DJ.Lacky,

Good day to you and many thanks for update. We have go throw all details and seems this is more likely related with Azure Active directory side because FIDO2 security key method is managed from Azure side and for Azure active directly, we have separate dedicated team who have special expertise in it, so to further check this query, it is recommended to kindly post your query on azure-active-directory - Microsoft Q&A site, so support engineer from that site will check and assist you further. At this moment, your kind cooperation will be highly appreciated.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Ankita Vaidya

• Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

---

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

---

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear DJ.Lacky,

Hope you are doing well.

I am writing to following up on this thread, I checked your thread description, and I also noticed that you got some proper response from our specific dedicated support team. Seems like currently your mentioned requirement is not supported under the Azure AD side, and you have already provided your feedback on relevant feedback portal URL link. I hope relevant team can do some necessary changes in product services in future based on users' vote and feedback,

Furthermore, if my follow up is reliable and convenient for you, could you please provide your vote or feedback so that other community member can also find information here?

I am really appreciating your kind cooperation.

Stay safe and heathy.

Have a good day.

Sincerely,

Darpan

* Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear DJ.Lacky,

Hope you are doing well.

I am writing to following up on this thread, I checked your thread description, and I also noticed that you got some proper response from our specific dedicated support team. Seems like currently your mentioned requirement is not supported under the Azure AD side, and you have already provided your feedback on relevant feedback portal URL link. I hope relevant team can do some necessary changes in product services in future based on users' vote and feedback,

Furthermore, if my follow up is reliable and convenient for you, could you please provide your vote or feedback so that other community member can also find information here?

I am really appreciating your kind cooperation.

Stay safe and heathy.

Have a good day.

Sincerely,

Darpan

Hi Darpan,

Thank you for your response. Is it possible to get an official answer from Microsoft as to why it’s currently not available through Azure AD if it is supported through personal Microsoft accounts? I’m just curious as to what’s the reasoning it’s not available through Azure AD when it no doubt would’ve passed the necessary checks and requirements to be enabled for personal accounts I’m assuming?

Thanks.

---

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi DJ.Lacky,

Thank you for your response.

Based on your requirement, I tried to find official document, but did not get any authentic official information article. Because certain aspect and attributes can be achieved through Azure AD portal side, but currently there is not any supportive settings option available on Azure AD side so that your mentioned requirement can be achieved at this moment from Azure AD side.

If my follow up and prompt response are convenient for you, you may also provide your feedback. Other community members can also find information from this community. Generally, we have some dedicated support channel for certain different aspect and attributes where our relevant community members are providing possible information from their side. But some community members can also find possible information on this forum community.

I am really appreciating your kind understanding.

Have a good day.

Sincerely,

Darpan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Darpan,

No problem, thank you for you help. Hopefully it is something that can be introduced soon as it is a very important security method for myself that would be an amazing addition to have, and would hopefully allow that next closer step to a password-less account.

Thanks.

---

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi DJ.Lacky,

Thank you for your kind response.

Yes, I totally understand your requirement. I hope relevant support team will make some convenient way to achieve this requirement.

Stay safe and healthy.

Have a great day.

Sincerely,
Darpan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 16, 2024 Views 4,375 Applies to: