Can I use Word stock images in a charity newsletter?

I'm wondering if I can use the Microsoft Word stock images for a free charity newsletter which will appear on a website as well as having physical copies. I'm not sure if this counts as using the content outside of Office. Thank you!

|

Hello Emma, Here's an excerpt from Amit Agarwal's article on https://www.labnol.org/internet/office-images-usage/27823/ that answers your question: * Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it "The Microsoft Office license agreement and the services agreement include details around legitimate usage: You may not (i) sell, license, or distribute copies of the media elements by themselves or as a product if the primary value of the product is the media elements; (ii) grant your customers rights to further license or distribute the media elements; (iii) license or distribute for commercial purposes media elements that include the representation of identifiable individuals, governments, logos, trademarks, or emblems or use these types of images in ways that could imply an endorsement or association with your product, entity or activity; or (iv) create obscene works using the media elements. The support site for Microsoft Office uses the phrase “unrestricted usage” and says that “you can use any image in the Office Clip Art and Media Library without restriction, except if the image becomes a product for sale.” The Clip Organizer manual requires that Microsoft Office users include a valid copyright notice on products that includes clip art and photos used from the Office Media library. The Gist - Can I Use Office Images Commercially? I am no legal expert but the language of these agreements does seem to indicate that you can use the Microsoft Office clip art and images for any purpose, including commercial projects, as long as you are not redistributing or reselling the clip art and image files as a stand-along product." I hope this helps you. - Stephen N.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Emma:

Technically, "no". The printed documents are fine, the website would be fine if visitors click a link and download a Word document, but if the website "displays" the document content including the image, that is not allowed.

See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/what-am-i-allowed

Then again, I suspect you may find that Mr. Nadella's lawyers have better things to do with their time than viciously pursue a free charity website. Just sayin'...

Hope this helps

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 12, 2024 Views 93 Applies to: