can I safely delete the Office 15 click-to-run extensibility component

Bit of a story but I have uninstalled Lync 2010 as I received an email from Microsoft that it should be replaced with the 2013 basic version. When I tried to install the 2013 version it stopped because of the above component being present (I'm using win 7 ultimate on a 64 bit machine with Office 365 and Office home premium 2013 subscription).

Its been suggested that I can uninstall the above component which will then allow me to install the 2013 version of Lync basic. I thought though that the Office 15 click-to-run extensibility component was important as it allowed updating of office on the fly? What would happen if I uninstall the component? Will I still be able to update office home premium?

Thanks

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

NO!

You cannot uninstall the "click to run extensibility component". It is the "365" part of Office 365.

What is the exact error message you are getting?

When you get an error, we Need the FULL and EXACT Error message text and error code (if there is one) as Diagnostic Clues

First rule of asking questions, you have to provide enough information about what you are doing so we can try to recreate the problem. If there is an error code generated, we need to see that too.

Describe the exact steps you take to create the error (so we can try to recreate it) and the resulting error. In theory that is obvious, but apparently you didn't give us enough information to provide a good answer ... <sigh>

We search various sources for the error message you give us to find possible solutions. So we need the exact error message text, we can't find paraphrased error messages.

Trick to capture text of error messages

http://ask-leo.com/can_i_avoid_retyping_error_messages_when_i_need_to_report_them.html

This link describes a shortcut to capture the FULL and EXACT error message text in a message box. As of Win 2000, <CTL><C> captures error text from most(some?) dialog boxes. Report it back here by pasting the text into a reply, or typing the full message if you can't copy it.

Win7 & Win8 Problem Steps Recorder - PSR

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/How-do-I-use-Problem-Steps-Recorder

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/how-tos/how_use_windows_7_problem_steps_recorder_make_easy_pc_guides 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd371782%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

http://www.7tutorials.com/easy-troubleshooting-and-problem-solving-problem-steps-recorder 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6EgLm3-XcQ

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/patricka/archive/2010/01/04/using-the-secret-windows-7-problem-step-recorder-to-create-step-by-step-screenshot-documents.aspx

Please use the Problem Steps Recorder to capture what you are doing so we have more details to work with. Either copy and paste the recorded steps into the forum or upload the zip file to Skydrive and give us a link to the zip file

Solving problems unique to a machine can be an arduous task for both the end-user and the help desk. That’s why Win7 introduces the Problem Steps Recorder, a screen-capture tool that allows the end-user to record the problems they’re having step-by-step. If the problem is repeatable, the recorder will capture what you do in text form.

It’s as simple as hitting “record” then adding in comments as needed. A HTML-based file is converted to a .ZIP folder, which is easily passed on to the help desk.  The program is accessible from the Control Panel under “Record steps to reproduce a problem” or run psr.exe from Explorer.

Upload result to a file share site and post the link back here.

Trouble shooting Problems Installing Office 2003/2007/2010/2013 (Verbose logging)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2545723 - fix Its to turn logging on and off

http://blogs.technet.com/b/odsupport/archive/2010/12/30/trouble shooting-office-installation-failures.aspx Office 2003-2010, analyse log

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300 - Fix it enable XP, Server 2003-8

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826511 - help interpretting logs

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906485 - Enable logging on XP

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc978342.aspx

“Verbose logging” is a setting that exposes more information during the installation process. It will capture “warning” as well as “error” messages that provide us with clues to your problem.

To do onetime verbose logging:

Diagnosing When Setup Stops Responding

At times, Office Setup stops responding (hangs), and you do not receive any error message. The best thing to do in this situation is to restart your computer, and run Office Setup again with complete verbose logging turned on (with one additional option). To do this, start Office Setup. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. In the Open box, type the following command line, and then click OK:

path\Setup.exe /L*v! C:\Verboselog.txt

Note that Path is the full path of your Office source location.

To enable Windows Installer logging yourself, open the registry with Regedit.exe and create the following path and keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer

Reg_SZ: Logging
Value: voicewarmupx

The letters in the value field can be in any order. Each letter turns on a different logging mode. Each letter's actual function is as follows for MSI version 1.1:

v - Verbose output
o - Out-of-disk-space messages
i - Status messages
c - Initial UI parameters
e - All error messages
w - Non-fatal warnings
a - Start up of actions
r - Action-specific records
m - Out-of-memory or fatal exit information
u - User requests
p - Terminal properties
+ - Append to existing file
! - Flush each line to the log
x - Extra debugging information. The "x" flag is available only on Windows Server 2003 and later operating systems, and on the MSI redistributable version 3.0, and on later versions of the MSI redistributable.

"*" - Wildcard, log all information except for the v and the x option. To include the v and the x option, specify "/l*vx".

Note This should be used only for troubleshooting purposes and should not be left on because it will have adverse effects on system performance and disk space. Each time you use the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel, a new Msi*.log file is created.

When looking through the MSI logs we will typically want to look for a value 3 entry in the logs. Windows installer returns codes during the install which will indicate if a particular function was successful or not.

Value 1 = Success
Value 2 = Cancel
Value 3 = Error

Note: make sure to turn off verbose logging after you are done.

Enable verbose logging before collecting the log files.

1.         Click on Start -> All Programs

2.         Accessories -> RUN

3.         Type reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ClickToRun\OverRide /v LogLevel /t REG_DWORD /d 3

4.         Click on OK.

Now try to install Microsoft Office 2013 to get the error message so that the log files get created.

Provide the complete error log present in the ‘Temp’ folder to help you better.

Follow the steps below to access the ‘Temp’ folder.

1.         Click on Start -> All Programs

2.         Accessories -> RUN

3.         Type %temp%  -> Click on OK

Following are the log files that may be present in the %windir%\temp folder (c2r is for Click to Run):Bootstrapper*.log

1.         c2r_*.log

2.         C2RIntegrator*.log

3.         Firefly*.log

4.         Integratedoffice.exe_c2r*.log

5.         Interceptor*.log

6.         *.exe.log

7.         *_c2rdll*

MSI, "Normal", installations the log files will look like MSI****.LOG

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Rohn007,

Thank you for the amazing reply.

I have a machine with Win 7 Ultimate (64 bit) with a subscription to Microsoft Office 365 which includes Lync 2010. I also have a subscription for Microsoft Office 365 Home Premium (office 2013).

Microsoft Office 365 365 recently had an upgrade and as part of the upgrade there was a message for users of Lync 2010 to migrate to Lync Basic 2013.

I uninstalled Lync 2010 and tried to install Lync Basic 2013 64 bit, but got the following error message

"We can't install the 64 bit version of office because we found the following 32 bit programs on your pc:

Office 15 Click to run extensibility component

Please uninstall all 32 bit office programs then retry installing 64 bit office. If you want to install 32 bit office instead, please run the 32 bit setup".

If I try and re-install Lync 2010 I get the same message.

If I try and install the 32 bit version of Lync basic 2013 I get the following message:

"We can't install the 32 bit version of office because we found the following 64 bit programs on your PC:

Microsoft Office sharepoint designer 2010

Microsoft office office 32 bit components 2010

Please uninstall all 64 bit office programs then retry installing 32 bit office. If you want to install 64 bit office instead, please run the 64 bit setup".

I posted on the office 365 lync forum and they (a msoft support person) suggested uninstalling the extensibility component but I thought I would check first as I thought it essential to Office 2013.

I would like Lync back but I do not want (nor have the time) to uninstall all office 365 home premium (etc) and start again, and why should I?

I got in this situation because Microsoft told me to upgrade Lync 2010, they must know that some people are also running 365 home premium and would encounter this problem?

Could you suggest please an easy way to get Lync (any version) back without spending hours of needless work?

Thanks

If I knew everything there was to know, life would be very boring.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, I don't think I have a simple solution.

It sounds like you have run into the 32/64 bit block.

1. You can install 32 bit apps on 64 bit OS (NOT visa versa)
2. MS recommends 32 bit Office even on 64 bit Windows
3. the Office installer is designed to prevent mixed 32/64 bit Office installations on the same windows session.

You will have to decide whether you are running 32 or 64 bit Office. Then uninstall all of the "wrong" bit pieces you have.  Here is a list of "blocking" apps where conflicting bitness causes problems:
Blocking and nonblocking Office applications in 64-bit installations

If 32-bit Office applications are installed on a computer, a 64-bit Office 2010 installation is blocked by default. The following section (Applications that block a 64-bit Office 2010 installation) lists the applications that block a 64-bit Office 2010 installation. The next section (Applications that do not block a 64-bit Office 2010 installation) lists exceptions; that is, applications that do not block the installation. In such cases, installation of 64-bit Office proceeds even if the listed 32-bit applications are installed on the computer.

Applications that block a 64-bit Office 2010 installation

The following applications block a 64-bit Office 2010 installation:

·         Microsoft Office Excel Viewer

·         Access database engine of Microsoft Access 2010

·         Microsoft Office 2010 (Click-to-run)

·         Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system

Applications that do not block a 64-bit Office 2010 installation

The following applications do not block a 64-bit Office 2010 installation:

·         Microsoft Visual Studio Web Authoring Component 2007

·         2007 Microsoft Office system 64-bit components

·         Microsoft Office 2010 (OEM pre-installation)

·         Microsoft Office 2003 Web Components

·         Expressions Web Designer

·         Microsoft Office XP Web Components

·         Microsoft Expression Web 1

·         Microsoft Expression Web 1 Language Packs

·         Microsoft Expression Web 2

·         Microsoft Expression Web 2 Language Packs

·         Visual Basic for Applications 6.4 SDK

·         Visual Basic for Applications 6.4 SDK International Components

You may want to use the "Fix It" from the appropriate tip to get a more thorough uninstall
Uninstall Office 2013 / 365

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501  Office 2013, Office 365 and Office 2013 Preview uninstalls

• Method 1: Uninstall using Fix it
  • Method 2: Uninstall from Control Panel
  • Method 3: Remove manually

Method 1 in this tip does a more thorough job that the "normal" uninstall via Programs and Features (aka Method 2 in the tip). The Normal uninstall is designed with the assumption that you will be re-installing Office. It does NOT delete everything. It leaves configuration files like NORMAL.DOTM and other templates etc. and it also leaves configuration Registry entries.

Uninstall Office 2010

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301  2010 If you have 64-bit windows, download the tools to your HD before running them (make copy of your NORMAL.DOTM, EXCEL.XLSM, and for 2010 QAT: Excel.officeui and Word.officeui if you have done any customization). 

NOTE: 2 people have said that the Fix It in method 2 would not run in Windows 8.

Method 2 in this tip does a more thorough job that the "normal" uninstall via Programs and Features (aka Method 1 in the tip). The Normal uninstall is designed with the assumption that you will be re-installing Office. It does NOT delete everything. It leaves configuration files like NORMAL.DOTM and other templates etc. and it also leaves configuration Registry entries.

• Method 1: Uninstall from Control Panel
  • Method 2: Uninstall using Fix it 9737366
  • Method 3: Uninstall with the Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter
  • Method 4: Remove manually

You may want to use a 3rd party uninstall utility to clean up more pieces that may have been left behind.

After uninstalling, and before re-installing what ever you need boot the computer twice to flush the cache.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Rohn007,

Thank you for an informative and helpful post. You obviously have an expanse of knowledge and an ability to share that knowledge in a manner easily understandable by all levels.

I am particularly grateful for your swift response that I should not uninstall the component - The Microsoft Support person on the forum on the Office 365 community clearly should check with you before making suggestions.

I am sadly a person who subscribed to a couple of services and naively let Windows make the decision as to the bit type (32 or 64).

Unfortunately, at this time, I do not have the time to start uninstalling and reinstalling components but will retain a link to this chain so that when I do get time to do this work I will have the correct information and guidance to hand.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Good luck.

I am truly surprised, even shocked, that the Office installer / Windows Update process would mix up 32 and 64 installations. The Office installer is explicitly coded to prevent this.  Actually, this is the first time I've heard of that it happened. Usually the question goes the other way, "how can I mix 32 and 64 bit" with the answer that it is not supposed to be allowed.

Prof. Doug Fisher

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Horrid response to a giant bug yet again MS

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a 64 bit windows laptop (asus) purchased 6 months ago. I installed office 2013 professional - WIndows installer made any decisions with regard to 32/64 bit.

I am now blocked from installing Lync 2013 with the exact message described above.

But, my office 2013 professional installation says it is 64 bit.

So what gives? I have installed no other office components. My office 2013 says it is 64 bit. Whats the deal!!!!!!!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As far as I know from the answers I have had, is that the only solution is to uninstall and reinstall which isn't much use. 

If you have Windows 8 then there is a cut down version as an app. Otherwise you have lost Lynchburg. 

I'm bit annoyed as the only reason I tried to upgrade to Lynchburg 2013 was because of a prompt.

You would have thought that Microsoft would have checked for possible conflicts - obviously not.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the identical problem that you have exactingly described. Too bad the responses so far were not helpful. The only difference in my situation (after upgrading to Office 365 yesterday and selecting the 64bit installation) is that I was trying to download a trial 64bit version of Visio 2013.

Any assistance for this problem is greatly appreciated

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 30, 2022 Views 21,876 Applies to: