Can a Microsoft Office 2010 Product Key be reused on another computer?

I know someone with a new computer and it says Microsoft Office pre-installed, but then it seems to need a Product Key to enter in the activation process. Can a Product Key from a previous computer be used?

Also why is clicking on the download link for Office 2010 leading her to Office 365 and Microsoft Office 2013?
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

As I understand you want to install Office 2010 on a new computer.

I will assist you with the installation of Office 2010 on the new computer.

I have a question for you.

1) Did you purchase a retail copy of Office 2010?

2) Did you purchase Office 2010 suite as product key card or the traditional retail copy?

3) Which edition of Office did you purchase (Office Home and Student 2010, Office Home and Business 2010, Office Professional 2010)?

All the retail copy of Office 2010 can be installed on 2 different computers and Office Home and Student 2010 can be installed on 3 different computers.

Most of the download links for Office 2010 has been removed or replaced by Office 2013 download.

If it is a traditional retail copy, you may download Office 2010 using the link below and install it using your product key:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/microsoft-office-2010-backup-FX101853122.aspx

If you purchased Office 2010 as product key card then the Office Product Key Card can only be installed on one PC.

If you ever need to reinstall Office you can do so on the same PC on which Office was originally installed and the license cannot be transferred to any other computer.

For more information related to software licensing you may refer the link given below:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-software-license-terms-for-microsoft-office-2010-HA101817777.aspx

I hope the above information helps with the installation of Office 2010. If you need any further information you can always reply and I’ll be happy to help you.

Thank you.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 19, 2024 Views 32,716 Applies to: