Blank white screen when running complex macro

I experience, on odd occasions, a blank white screen while running a complex macro.

I would prefer to retain the last window prior to Echo Off.

This problem has only recently arisen.

Can anybody help?

Perhaps you could share the details of your macro...  Your post is a little too vague.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

RunningMan has a good point - we can't fix what we can't see!

That said, a blank screen is a symptom of a Form which a) has no records to display in its Recordsource, perhaps because of criteria; and b) does not allow additions, so you can't see the blank "New Record" either.

John W. Vinson/MVP

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

More info on my issue:

The macro is large and complex. It contains 98 Open Query actions, 12 RunMacro actions and takes 2 min 15 sec to run.

If I run the macro on opening the file, there is no problem and the required screen is displayed during the operation.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After conducting a range of actions within the database, like opening and closing forms via macros, cut and paste items in Design mode, and similar, when I then run my macro it displays the desired screen for about 15 seconds and then gives me a white screen while the macro runs in the background. On completion, it displays the required form.

The white screen is:

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, obviously we still cannot debug what we cannot see - and I can also see why you don't post the whole thing! You may be pushing Access to its limits. It also sounds like a total bear to debug!

All I can suggest is that Access action queries called from a macro will start executing immediately, but the program will NOT wait for the query to complete before moving on to the next macro step. It's quite possible that some step (opening a form, say) in the macro  will only work if some previous step has completed.

In VBA you can include a line

Application.Idle

in the code to stop execution of the code until background actions have completed. I don't use Macros enough to know what is the Macro equivalent; you could use a RunCode action to run a little function that just does an Idle.

John W. Vinson/MVP

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you John

My confusion lay in the fact that the full macro runs without fault and as I expect, time and time again, when initially run on opening the db file. The macro includes, Make Tables, Append records, Delete records, Update records, all without trouble. It worked well in Access 10 on Windows 7 but only began to give me the white screen issue on Windows 10 and Access 13. And that is only intermittently. I am beginning to think my db file is approaching its limits if Access 13 is more inflexible than Access 10.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you John

My confusion lay in the fact that the full macro runs without fault and as I expect, time and time again, when initially run on opening the db file. The macro includes, Make Tables, Append records, Delete records, Update records, all without trouble. It worked well in Access 10 on Windows 7 but only began to give me the white screen issue on Windows 10 and Access 13. And that is only intermittently. I am beginning to think my db file is approaching its limits if Access 13 is more inflexible than Access 10.

May I suggest that you convert your macro to VBA and work it from there.  This will give you more flexibility in debugging as well as other features that aren't as easily accessible in macros.  Given your statement of all the tings your are doing, you would do well to break up your process into sub procedures, again, in VBA.

Lastly, once you've converted your process, you will have the ability to share the procedure(s) here for any future help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 20, 2022 Views 1,431 Applies to: