Autosave not working - no files are there

I use autosave and have it set for every time minutes. I had a workbook open and was inputting data for many hours. I saw the taskbar show it autosave many, many times until it crashed. When I reopened excel, it reverted back to the last user saved version which was several hours old. I searched for the autorecover files, but they are the same old file. When I tried opening one, I get the error that happeend when it crashed - it says 'Excel cannot complete the task with available resources. Choose less data or close other application" (this was the error when it crashed in the first place)
I have plenty or memory available on my computer

I really need this fixed. Autosave does me no good if I can't recover my files.
|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello,

Let us refer to the following link ‘Recover an earlier version of an Office file’ and check if it helps:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/recover-an-earlier-version-of-an-office-file-HA010356735.aspx?CTT=5&origin=HP010354296

As for the error message ‘'Excel cannot complete the task with available resources. Choose less data or close other application’, you may try the steps in the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2655178/en-us

Note: The steps in the article also applies to Excel 2013.

In case if that doesn’t help, do get back to us with the results so that we may assist you further.

Thank you

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

no, that is not the problem. The problem is there were no files saved. Keep in mind I have autosave set to 10 mins. I watched it save numerous times in the task menu. I was working on the file the entire night and it crashed at 11pm. The latest backup was from 9:30pm and the data reflected that it was that old. 
Where are the files from 9:30-11 that were saved every ten minutes?

Now, to make things worse, Excel is throwing me every kind of error it can. I am crashing on startup, getting a resource error even though I created a new workbook of 30kb only.

At this point, I reinstalled office, but this is ridiculous. I can't keep doing this and spending so much time dealing with this unstable program. I have been using Excel as a professional  for over 6 years and this is the worst it has ever been

294 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you looking in the right place for the files? 

Take a look in the same place you set the autorecover time interval:
 File menu > Options command > Save option to see exactly where the "Autorecover" copies are saved. Personally, I change it to the same place as my default file location. That way it is easier to see when they start "piling" up, and delete any "orphans".

Note: Office STILL does not have a true "autosave" feature. The 'autorecover' feature is NOT the same as autosave.

If you are working on important (to you) files, you may want to implement a true timed autosave feature. There are a number of macros and addons that can do it for you. They will us SAVE AS to created timestamped, or numbered, backup copies.

True Autosave Macros for Office - File History

This file you are working on is HIGH VALUE (to you). You MUST take extra steps to protect the time and creativity you have invested in this file. You MUST make frequent backups.

A good general rule for backups is:

Remember 3-2-1 to have good backups --

o at least 3 copies of any file,

o at least 2 different storage mediums (say on a hard drive, thumb drive, DVD or the cloud),

o at least 1 copy offsite -- in case of fire etc!  (ie thumb drive moved to a different building)

Steve Gibson

PS: yes “correct” the plural of medium is media, but I don’t speak latin! <grin>

You can do your backups manually or make use of automated tools.  A strategy I have used is timed backups during the editing session (5 minute). Then the final end of day save is copied to second medium. I rotate the “second” medium with an Offsite copy.  Once a week I go in and clean up the 5 minute incremental backups to keep just the end of day copy (to free up space!)

I have used the “autohistory” tool at codeplex. It is easy to use, but like any automated process it uses up a lot of space.

Unfortunately, although Office apps have been around since the the mid 1980’s, MS has not figured out that we need a good “Autosave” backup feature. In the past there was a “versions” feature in some office apps, but it only kept incremental copies of files, not full files. Win7 has a file “versions” feature, but it is tied into “System Recovery Points”. Not very useful.  The following links tell how to setup macros that run automatically and use SAVEAS to save full copies of the file with the date/time included in the file name. You have to manually delete the “extra” backup files, but you control the process rather than Windows or Office. It is a bit more work, but I find it worth it for very important files that are changing frequently.

Autohistory for Word 2007 / 2010, Excel 2010 (Version Control)

https://autohistory.codeplex.com/

Creates a Date&Timestamped copy of file every time you perform a normal Save. You can access any of the older versions. It creates a folder for each document affected. You have to the option of creating a single “universal” backup location.  The History is located in a NEW GROUP on the View Tab.

zApps-apps Collection for 2007/2010/2013 - 7 day free trial Word, Excel, PowerPoint

http://www.greatcirclelearning.com/software/zapps-apps/zapps-apps-collection

The zAPPs-apps Collection adds functionality to Microsoft Office Word, PowerPoint and Excel to automate common work tasks and automatically save local copies of your files. Your ability to reuse content is optimized, your ability to work with images is enhanced, and copies of your files are saved locally every time you save so that you can instantly go back to a usable copy if you have a crash or overwrite content you need. The zAPPs-apps Collection streamlines and accelerates your work process.

The Collection contains 16 tools that run in Excel, PowerPoint and Word to help you:

Saving Excel in Multiple Locations

http://excel.tips.net/T002774_Saving_in_Multiple_Locations.html

Excel- Saving in Two Locations

http://excel.tips.net/T003042_Saving_in_Two_Locations.html

Saving in Multiple Locations

If the drive letter assigned to your USB drive is always the same, you can use code like the following in the ThisWorkbook module.

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)

On Error Resume Next

Application.EnableEvents = False

ThisWorkbook.Save

ThisWorkbook.SaveCopyAs “J:\” & ThisWorkbook.Name

Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub

Change the “J” to the appropriate drive letter.

If the drive letter may change but the volume label is always the same, use code like the following in the ThisWorkbook code module:

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)

Dim DriveLetter As String

Dim VolumeName As String

On Error Resume Next

Application.EnableEvents = False

ThisWorkbook.Save

VolumeName = “YourVolumeName”

DriveLetter = GetDriveLetter(VolumeName)

If Len(DriveLetter) > 0 Then

ThisWorkbook.SaveCopyAs DriveLetter & “:\” & ThisWorkbook.Name

End If

Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub

Private Function GetDriveLetter(VolumeName As String) As String

Dim FSO As Object

Dim DD As Object

Set FSO = CreateObject(“Scripting.FileSystemObject”)

For Each DD In FSO.Drives

If DD.IsReady = True Then

If StrComp(DD.VolumeName, VolumeName, vbTextCompare) = 0 Then

GetDriveLetter = DD.DriveLetter

Exit Function

End If

End If

Next DD

End Function

Change VolumeName to the appropriate volume name.

In the last issue of WordTips there were a number of readers that got the idea that I was suggesting that people should use the FastSave feature. In fact, I got quite a bit of feedback on that tip, some of it quite pointed. (According to one reader, I was even “irresponsible.” Another stated that I was doing a disservice to readers.)

I am sorry if I gave the impression that I thought FastSave is a great idea. That is far from the truth; I do not. There are several other “features” of Word that I think are ill conceived or totally unnecessary, as well. It doesn’t change the fact that they are features and people can use them, if they desire. WordTips are not designed to promote one method of doing something over another, but to provide alternative ideas that people can incorporate into their Word use, if they so desire.

With that being said, let me point out specifically why you should not use the FastSave feature.

·      Other word processors may not be able to open Word documents saved with the FastSave feature enabled. For instance, WordPerfect says it can open Word documents, yet some versions of WordPerfect cannot open FastSaved Word documents.

·      Third-party software designed to work with Word documents (such as some grammar checkers, document management programs, and desktop publishing software) will not work correctly with FastSaved Word documents.

·      Find File (either in Word or in Windows) may not work correctly with FastSaved Word documents.

·      FastSave results in more complex files being saved on disk. Any time you increase complexity, you run the risk of corrupting the files easier.

·      FastSaved files take up more disk space.

·      There have been reports of macro viruses “living on” in FastSaved documents, even though you thought you had them removed.

·      The list could go on and on, but you get the idea. In short, unless you have a specific need to use FastSave (such as if you are only creating simple documents using Word 6 on a slow 286 machine), it is probably a good idea to turn it off. The FastSave feature is turned on by default in all versions of Word, even in the original Word 97. Only if you are using Word 97 SR-1 is it turned off by default.

As a side note, according to the Microsoft Knowledge Base there are several circumstances under which a FastSave is not done by Word, even if you have enabled the feature. These circumstances include the following:

·      When you save a document for the first time. (This makes sense, right?) This includes when you choose Save As to save under a new name or in a new location.

·      When your document is saved on a network server or remote volume. (Word only performs a FastSave to a local volume.)

·      When Word reaches the limit of how much information it can save using the FastSave option. In this case Word does a normal save, and then again starts using FastSave for future saves.

Nuff said? (I hate it when I’m irresponsible.)

Saving All Open Workbooks

http://excelribbon.tips.net/T011079_Saving_All_Open_Workbooks.html

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/131333   (this tip is old, I didn’t test it)

Version 3.5 of Autosafe enables use in environments with long paths/filenames. The standard Autosave (note the spelling) utility that ships with Excel just saves workbooks at a set interval, overwriting the file on disk. This is not very convenient if you planned to leave the master file intact and save the changed workbook using a different filename. It also does nothing to simplify recovery of unsaved/changed documents after a system crash. This Autosafe utility creates copies of open workbooks at regular intervals in a separate (user-selectable) directory. It does not overwrite the master file(s), that is up to the user to do, using normal methods. As soon as a workbook is closed the backup copy is deleted from the backup directory. If an abnormal termination of Excel occurs, the backup copies remain on disk, and Autosafe finds them the next time Excel is started and presents recovery options to the user.
Autosafe comes with an autoupdate function which checks for updates every week. Includes the following languages: English, Dansk, Deutsch, Español, Français, Indonesia, Italiano, Nederlands, Norsk, Hrvatski, Slovenščina, Korean, Русский (Russian), Lithuanian and Hungarian.

( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)
I was reading a book on helium.
I couldn’t put it down.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I now have the same problem, had autosave set to every 4 min, two hours later, inserted an excel file attachment into this document, excel crashed, message came up "no auto recovery on this session" or similar and it was right, no trace anywhere of the file.

There are no "Auto recover exceptions" set for this file.

No luck in any of the potential folders:

C:\Users\Nicklas\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\

C:\Users\Nicklas\Documents\SharePoint Drafts\

In the first folder I only have this file as saved around the time of teh crash:

Excel15.xlb

****!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

same problem, windows 10, office 2013, one of our users spent several hours on a word document, autosave set to 10 minute s, no trace anywhere of the saved file, only the original file was left on server, and our snapshot on the server only had the original documents

Searched for any files changed today and after a while I found a .asd file. It seems we managed to recover it via the "file", "open document" and the "Recover unsaved documents" at the bottom of all recent documents". 

This seems like a bug to me.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have experienced the same problem now on two separate occasions. I thought the first one was just a fluke because it was the day I updated to Windows 10. But yesterday, I spent about 8 hours working on Excel files. They were showing as autosaving the entire time. I went to sleep, the computer updated again overnight, and BOOM everything reverted back to last user save a week ago.

I don't understand why this is such a hard fix. If Windows is going to run an automatic update, is it really that hard for it to run a save script before it initiates? Or fix the autosave? Seems like common sense to me...so I am thinking this is a bug. Very annoying and frustrating.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am so flipping angry right now.

I've been working on a spreadsheet for 2 weeks.  About a week ago, my PC crashed and when I got back into excel the last save on the document was several days old.  The file was being stored and worked on through my OneDrive account (since Windows 10 seems to think that's my default document store).

I have a habit of periodically using the "file > save" option while working so there should have been a save that was less than an hour old.  

I searched the folder where autosave documents are supposed to be stored and the only file was the one from several days earlier.

I lost 3 days of work.

I started again after that incident and have been fastidiously saving the document manually all week.  Instead of saving on OneDrive I intentionally changed the storage path to the local PC in the normal My Documents folder in my user profile.

Before going to bed last night I saved the file and closed Excel.  I've been working this file every evening and have had no issues opening and closing it.

This morning when I went to open the file I can find no trace of any edits since July 3rd... the date of my original issues.

All the work I've done for nearly 2 weeks is gone and I can't find any evidence that I've actually worked on a file.

Thank god this is just a pet project I've been doing and not a work-related task... I'd be up the creek without a paddle. 

My computer did not shutdown / reboot or do a restore function between the time I went to bed and the time I woke up.

Other apps that were left open were still running and I see no evidence in the event viewer that anything like that occurred. 

I ran Office 2013 Pro for several years without issue and now that I'm using Office 2016 Pro I'm having problems.  I'm glad I spent the money for this POS product.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Any suggestions Microsoft ?  I've the same issue, not worked on an excel file for half an hour, Windows 10 crashes (again.... on both my computers windows 10 is less stable than earlier versions of windows ).  when I restart the computer and Excel the document recovery pane only has the the file I saved an hour before.  Autosave is set to every 10 minutes - but where is it? I've looked in the autosave file location too and there is nothing there. 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just had the same problem using Word.  Autorecover on, 10 minutes, and after Win10 crashed, lost 2 hours of work. No *.asd files in the expected places, etc. etc.

This is really a serious issue here. Just saying that, "Autorecovery is not autobackup," is not a good enough answer, Microsoft. If people can write macros to implement true autosave, when can't microsoft make this an option?

Totally disappointing.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This has happened to me twice now. I have a habit of manually saving via the save icon at the top left of the screen (as well as CTRL + S). Autosave was also set to save every 10min. Despite both methods of saving, about 3-5hrs of work was lost.

After ensuring my files were saving to the correct location, I opened a new workbook for a different project (several days later) and tried again, figuring my computer was just being dumb. Excel crashed again, saving only the original version of my workbook. Luckily only 2hrs of work was lost, but at this point I'm starting to feel like no method of saving will prevent hours of wasted time. The microsoft excel recovery folder did not save my workbook (I triple checked, looking for the correct folder a myriad of ways).

Now, I have changed the default location to the OneDrive and synced that with my user documents folder, in addition to changing the autosave time to every 1 minute (not that that will do anything). I'm going to uninstall and reinstall 365 and see what happens. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 2, 2021 Views 46,542 Applies to: