Auto generated emails sitting in outbox until login from RDP

This just started in the last few months.   For years there have been no issues.   

I generate emails periodically via batch files (SAS programming).  This occurs on a desktop in the office that I log into via RDP.   But the emails sit in the outbox now, until I login via RDP, then they're immediately sent.   I need them to be sent whenever the SAS job runs.   Has been working successfully until a couple of months ago.  Thoughts?

Hi Lawrence,

Thank you for contacting us. Based on your description, you're using remote desktop protocol (RDP) to access your office computer. And in your office computer, you have set up an SAS program to generate and send emails via Outlook automatically. But recently these emails stuck in Outbox folder until you log in the office computer. 

Does your office computer never sleep or hibernate? To my knowledge, if the computer is in sleep or hibernate mode, the network will disconnect by default. That could be a possible cause. In this scenario, you can try to disallow the computer to go into asleep mode or open Group Policy to allow network connection in sleep mode to check if it helps.

2. Press Win + R and type "gpedit.msc", then navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Power Management > Sleep Settings.

Besides, for the further analysis, I'd like to collect the following information.

1. What's your Outlook desktop client version? Please capture a screenshot via File > Office Account > About Outlook.

2. Does this account an Office 365 account?

Regards,

Marvin

-----------------------

* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

No... that desktop is set to "never" sleep...

Outlook 2016 MSO (16.0.9126.2098) 32-bit

Yes... Office 365...

Again... it just recently started.   Maybe I did something stupid and "tweaked" a setting?

Also... it seems to go through "spells"... I've toyed with options like leaving outlook on screen before I close RDP, etc.   SOMEtimes I get emails during RDP being closed, but 90% of the time, not.

I enabled:  Allow network connectivity during connected-standby (plugged in)… that SOUNDS like it's a factor... 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Lawrence,

Based on your Outlook client version, it's a quite old version. If your Office 365 account has the license for the latest version of Office desktop apps, you can just sign in Office portal to download the latest version of Office apps. Besides, if you have enabled the setting in Group Policy, feel free to share the result with us.

Regards,

Marvin

-----------------------

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Lawrence,

May I know if you need further assistance?

Regards,
Marvin
-----------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Marvin...

Still not working... I choose not to update office, as I've experienced some issues with my SAS processes with office upgrades on occasion.  I can't take that chance right now.  I don't think that's the issue anyway, as this issue has just recently started, and the office version hasn't changed in a couple of years. (I've set it not to update).  I was hoping a setting got switched or something inside of Outlook.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Lawrence,

As a matter of fact, the issue related with any scripting or programming is out of our support boundary since Office doesn't have this feature by default. It's hard for us to determine whether it's caused by your processes or the changes of network environment in your organization. As you mentioned, you have set Outlook not to update, so it can't be Outlook client issue. 

In this scenario, I suggest you post your issue in MSDN forum, where most developers will post when they have Office issues with their scripts or programs. The related team will provide further assistance for you. We sincerely appreciate for your kind understanding.

Regards,

Marvin

-----------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2023 Views 216 Applies to: