Any way to change to layout View of OneNote for Windows 10 App to be laid out the same as OneNote 2016?

I have over a dozen OneNote notebooks/files with over a dozen Sections for each notebook. In OneNote 2016 I have them all open all the time and on the left of the screen, each of them is expanded so that it shows the list of sections in the notebook. Then on the right side I have a list of pages within the selected section. I move around A LOT through these different notebooks and sections so having them all on the right and all expanded is VERY helpful when looking for a particular book and section that I want to work in - but in OneNote for Windows 10 - it appears that you HAVE to pick the notebook's drop-down list to see the available Notebooks and then pick one to be able to see its related Sections. If this is the only way to do this, this is going to make my usage of it MUCH HARDER and MUCH MORE TIME CONSUMING! If this can be changed to a layout similar to OneNote 2016's layout - please let me know how.

Thanks!

Hi AMeador,

We greatly appreciate your time and understanding.

Below are two screenshots from my side:

OneNote 2016, we click the Pin button to see all opened notebooks.

OneNote for Windows 10, we click the “<” button to see all opened notebooks with section at the same time.

If above scenario is not in your side, to better understand the situation could you capture a screenshot for the current view in OneNote2016 and OneNote windows 10.

I appreciate your patience and understanding.

Best Regards,

Waqas Muhammad

• Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Notice, like I said in my post, the in 2016 you can see all of your Notebooks AND the Sections in them - without doing anything extra. In OneNote for Win10 - you only see the Sections open in the Notebook you click on in the Notebook list. Now, mine does look and act a little different than yours it seems. Your OneNote for Win10 is showing 2 Notebooks in the list. Mine does not. It has an arrow that I have to click to get it to show the open Notebooks - where I do see multiple notebooks but I have to select one. In either case - you cannot see at a quick glance which sections are available in all of the open Notebooks in OneNote for Win10 as you can in OneNote 2016.

The newly designed view is inefficient for anyone that uses it extensively due to this change - again unless there is some way to change this view layout.

This is my normal view in OneNote 2016 - I open OneNote and all of my Notebooks are open and showing on the left with their Sections showing:

Here is the list of Notebooks seen in OneNote for Win10 after clicking the little arrow to the right of Notebooks that then shows me a list of open Notebooks:

This is the view after I select a Notebook from the previous image:

ASCPA, MCSE, MCP+I, Network+, A+

39 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi AMeador,

Thanks for sharing detail updates with us.

In OneNote windows 10 according to this article Get started with the new OneNote the new layout is by design and I'm afraid currently, there is no setting to change a layout of OneNote windows 10.

Given the situation, we welcome and encourage you to share your ideas through User Voice. It is the best way to perfect our products and services. Many features have been developed or upgraded directly from your ideas. OneNote for Windows UserVocie.

Microsoft uses the feedback to prioritize new feature programming. If the product developers have some updates about the feedback, they will post the updated information there directly.

I appreciate your patience and understanding.

Best Regards,

Waqas Muhammad

• Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I totally agree with you - the new 'improved' layout is definitely a backward step, IMHO. Especially problematic on a tablet with reduced screen area. One of the reasons I'm not totally ditching Evernote.

Also, Onetastic is not supported, I'm hoping there's a way to revert to an older version.

167 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

..... I'm hoping there's a way to revert to an older version. 

Yes - there is a way to get OneNote 2016 - see this article:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/install-or-reinstall-onenote-2016-for-windows-c08068d8-b517-4464-9ff2-132cb9c45c08

And it seems it will be supported for a while yet:

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/microsoft-is-sunsetting-onenote-2016-heres-what-that-means-for-professionals/

HTH

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would love for the tabs in the notebook to actually be on the top, arranged horizontally, like in a real file cabinet.  The pages are not intuitive to me.  Like one page can go on and on.   You have to click on a new page rather than naturally flipping to it.

76 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

They will rather kill the UWP app than change it. So there is hope 😋

Bernd

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2024 Views 87,427 Applies to: