"An error occurred in Skype for Business. Please retry. If the problem persists, contact your support team."

I have been receiving this error when trying to log in to Skype for Business on my 2019 MacBook Pro for the last 2 weeks.  I can still get in on my Windows computer with my credentials, but no longer on my MacBook Pro.  I have done full deletes/reinstalls (including ~/Library folder files and keychain files) to no avails.  I've tried logging on connected to my company's VPN, not connected to their VPN, on my home network, on my employer's network, and still unable to connect when using the Skype for Business application on my MacBook Pro.

What am I missing?  I am running Mac OS Catalina 10.15.1 and Skype for Business 16.28.130.  

Hi TJ Treffinger,

Thank you for letting us know above information. From the information you shared, your SFB client and Mac OS have updated to the latest version.

Given this situation, if you are you use Skype for Business Online server, then you may try following steps to manually configure your connection settings: 

1. Open Skype for Business and click "Delete Sign-in Info" to clear your login information.
2. Enter your user name and password.
3. Click "Advanced, then enter your sign in address and unselect the checkbox before "Auto-Detect Server".
5. Enter "https://webdir.online.lync.com/autodiscover/autodiscoverservice.svc/root " for both Interna & External Discovery Address.

If the issue persists, to narrow down this issue, please kindly confirm following questions and share the result with us:

1. Does this issue also happen to your colleagues who use the same version of SFB on the same version of Mac OS?

2. If the answer of question is no, can you sign in your account in their Mac?

3. Please confirm with your administrator to see if your organization is using only Office 365 cloud-based Lync server or an on-premise Lync server.

Regards,
Jennifer

* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.
* We are happy and always here to help you, and share the Microsoft 365 for business online information with you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

No such luck using the https://webdir.online.lync.com/autodiscover/autodiscoverservice.svc/root for the internal/external discovery address.

1. Yes, my colleague who has the same version of SFB and version of MacOS can successfully log in on his machine.

2. Tested with my colleague today - he can log into his account on MY machine as well.

3.  I cannot log into my account on his Mac.

4.  We are using a hybrid between Office 365 and an on-premise Lync server.

I have also reached out to my system administrator team referencing this inquiry so they can follow to see if there's a change they need to make to get my SFB to work on my MacBook Pro as it did before.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi TJ Treffinger,

This is Alan Wu from Office 365 forum support and I am here to help Jennifer to follow up on this thread with much pleasure. 

As you mentioned "We are using a hybrid between Office 365 and an on-premise Lync server", I'd like to know whether your affected account (which can't sign into Skype for Business for Mac) is a synced account (from local AD to Office 365 Azure AD). Also, I have known that both you and your colleague are now using the same OS version as well as the Skype for Business for Mac version. To isolate the issue, I need to know whether you and your colleague skype for Business account are under the same domain or the scenario is different that your colleague is using a pure cloud account (not a synced account). 

At last, please help collect a Skype for Business for Mac log and provide it so that I can help check it. To collect Skype for Business for Mac log, In the menu bar navigate to Skype for Business > Preferences > General > click on the Collect Logs button. The log should be located in ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.SkypeForBusiness/Data/Library/Logs/com.microsoft.SkypeForBusiness. Note: please provide the latest one in the Private Message (PM)for protecting your privacy.

By the way, if you got any update from your system admin, please also let me know. 

Regards,
Alan

-----------------------

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Alan,

I have reached out to our system administrative team who owns AD/Lync/Skype/O365 to find out the exact setup of local AD to Office 365 Azure AD, so I cannot speak to that.

My colleague and I both share the same domain, which his user name works on both his and my MBP, but mine does not.

Will send collection logs, which include my many unsuccessful connection attempts along with my colleague's successful connection in private message.  Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

From my IT administrator team:

Your account (as with Matt’s) is local on-prem AD synced to Azure.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi TJ Treffinger,

Thanks for your updates (including the log provided in the PM) very much!

Here, I'd like to say something from the log: the account you are sign in is ttreffi1@fair****.org (for protecting your privacy, I use ****). If yes, it is the Skype for Business On-premises user, which said via the log (please see the following log screenshot). 

In addition, the log says "AutoDiscoveryService.cpp:2267 Both internal and external AD url are empty". 

Here, it should be the root cause that the autodisocovery service's both internal and external url. Whereas, as your account is the On-premises account, I suggest you deliver this information to your system admin and re-confirm the autodiscovery service's internal and external urls. 

If anything is misunderstood, please let me know. 

Regards,

Alan

-----------------------

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have reached out to our system administrator, as colleagues can sign on to my MacBook Pro in Skype for Business without issue, but I still cannot.  After further research, they said they couldn't find anything incorrect in the DNS records for Skype.  Additionally, this problem began roughly 23 days ago - which they installed security patches to the server.  I have referenced our Sys Admin group to this question as they might be able to better explain what security patches were installed and if perhaps that is causing the underlying issue with my account being unable to connect.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi TJ Treffinger,

Thanks for your update here!

I'd like to know whether your system admin have confirmed if this issue is related to the patches installed on the server. 

Regards,
Alan

-----------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

My issue has been resolved - however, it was on the active directory side that my system admin had to adjust.  After installing some security patches, one of the AD groups I was in was preventing the auto-discovery of my login Skype address.  They have since been able to fix that on the sys admin side and I'm now good to go.

Thanks!
-t.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2021 Views 1,351 Applies to: