After installing KB4565503, Outlook won't start

I just installed the July 2020 update to Windows 10, now Outlook won't start - it gets through launch to the normal 'home' screen where I can see my inboxes, then crashes and says it can't open the .ost files.  Starting in safe mode has no impact.  Anyone else see this problem?  I don't see it listed as a known issue on the description for the update (looking here).  Any hints?
|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

this problem is related to yesterdays monthly update and am looking to fix it now if I can by reinstalling outlook 
Microsoft MVP Reconnect

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am having the same problems.  Problems were seen prior to updating computer with the July updates for version 1909.  After installing the updates this morning and rebooting the computer, the problem still exists.

I have Microsoft Windows 10 Home, ver. 1909, installed on 1/22/2020, OS build 18363.959.  Processor is Intel Core i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60Ghz 2.59, RAM 32 GB.  

Here are the messages I am receiving:

1st -

"The path specified for the file C:\Users\xxx\OneDrive\Documents\Outlook Files\myemailaddress.pst is not valid."

2nd - 

"Cannot start Microsoft Outlook.  Cannot open the Outlook window.  The set of folders cannot be opened.  The path specified for the file C:\Users\xxx\OneDrive\Documents\Outlook Files\myemailaddress.pst is not valid."

I believe the issue is that Windows 10 is once again trying to connect through OneDrive, which I do not use.  The path listed above is still my working path, but without "OneDrive."  Hopefully you can direct me on how I can remove OneDrive from the link as I am having difficulties figuring out where I should go to edit the path.

However if this is a bigger issues please let me know as well.

Thanks,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I forgot to add, Outlook worked yesterday evening without any issues so the problem happened between 6:00 PM PDT and 9:00 AM PDT

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Interesting; in my case when it says it can't find the mailbox (.ost in my case) file, it's looking in the right place - not OneDrive - and I can confirm that the files do exist, so it should be able to access them.

One interesting note is that in the Event Viewer, if I launch Outlook, in addition to the huge blast of information and warning messages there's one specifically from Outlook that points to the mailbox file, and says that it can't synchronize the file because "The store was last opened on a different machine."  Not sure what it means by that.  Also "Index reset (or catalog signature changed), re-push entire store."  Some other ones too but it definitely seems to be confused by the files.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The fix is to uninstall outlook and then to reinstall. that works for me and hope that's the case for everyone else 
Microsoft MVP Reconnect

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I ended up reaching out to HP Support The had me run Restore with a date of 7/13 and that still wouldn't allow me to launch Outlook.  MS Edge however, went on the blink, after Restoring with same problem as Outlook.  Finally deleted Edge and downloaded it again.  That did fix the MS Edge problem and now will try to delete Outlook and reinstalling.  Hopefully I won't lose my emails and will no longer need to open in Safe Mode.

Thanks Nick ADSL UK for your input as well.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

your outlook files in documents are fine. all you will need to do is to input your key

Microsoft MVP Reconnect

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks again.  I'll work on it later tonight.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hah dang, I was really hoping for something to try that wasn't reinstalling!  Ah well, will have to give it a shot later.  Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I confirmed that the .ost and all other files were deleted from my hard drive. The Documents/Outlook Files only has icloud archive. Amazing because I don't have an iPhone. Even after creating a new data file to open Outlook there are no files in Outlook folder except icloud archive.

Guess it is time to switch to Linux.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 26, 2021 Views 688 Applies to: