After enabling MFA on Office 365 I can't login to Outlook even with app password

Hi,

So we've had some trouble with the MFA lately. The first time I enabled/enforced MFA for my organisation Microsoft had the longest outage for MFA making it impossible to login with MFA for a couple of days. Which wasn't a good start for us if you ask me.

When this was fixed I waited a while to enable it again. I started gradually this time and it worked fine.

But after a while some users noticed that when they are trying to configure their email account on a new computer or phone they just get an error saying something went wrong.

I have my mail configured on my work computer with the app password I created when I got asked to login again after MFA had been enabled and that worked just fine.

I had to login to my phone as well and that's where the problem started. I created a new app password for my phone but no matter what I do I can't get my phone to accept either my actual password or the app password. I've tried with multiple app passwords without success.

If I try to add my account on my home computer I just get this:

If I disable MFA for my account it will work perfectly however. So there is something wrong with MFA and I don't know how to troubleshoot it.

Everyone that I've enabled MFA for has the same problem.

What can I do to fix this?

Question Info

Last updated May 28, 2020 Views 15,761 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hello Patric.F,

From your description, I can see that your problem is you cannot login into neither Outlook client nor Outlook app on mobile after enabled MFA. Given this situation, may I know whether you are using Outlook 2016 client? If so, the Outlook 2016 client applications support MFA through the use of the ADAL. You don’t need to enter app passwords in Outlook 2016 clients. Thus, please make sure your Office 365 subscription is enabled for ADAL.

For your reference: Enable modern authentication in Exchange Online.

If not, you can try deleting the existing app passwords and re-create it, then clear Outlook credentials by following steps below see if it can help:

1. Close your Outlook.

2. Type credential manager in the Windows search box to open the Credential Manager.

3. Under the Generic Credentials, delete the entries which contain "Outlook" or “MicrosoftOffice16" in its name, you can even delete all the entries if you like.

4. Close the Credential Manager and restart your Outlook.

Best Regards,

Sylvie

-------------------------------------------------
If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.