Advertising in Copilot Pro prompt responses

I was playing around with some basic prompts, specifically "health benefits of soy foods" and separately "how to play tennis." While the responses were accurate, each response had advertisements, the first for soy foods and the second for books about tennis. This happened in all three chat modes. Is there a way to turn that off? The Klarna and Shop plug-ins are disabled and personalization has been turned off. That's one nice thing about ChatGPT - no ads.

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi JesseReisman, Thanks for contacting us, I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying Copilot and its features. The advertisements that you see in the responses are not generated by Copilot, but by the web sources that Copilot uses to provide you with relevant information. Copilot does not endorse or promote any products or services that may appear in the responses. you can try to use the Copilot app on the web instead of the Copilot extension in your browser. The Copilot app has a built-in ad blocker that filters out most of the ads from the web sources. Let me know if this helps or if you need further assistance. Regards, Sola “Give back to the Community. Help the next person who has this issue by indicating if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below. “ Kindly note that this is a user to user forum, we are users helping other users, we aren't Microsoft employee neither are we Microsoft agents.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

This is when accessing Copilot via https://copilot.microsoft.com/ not a browser extension. I would assume that if a customer is using Copilot Pro via the site, the ads were stripped off. Is that not the case?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jesse, I am Sumit, and I will gladly assist you today. Welcome to the Microsoft Community. The ads should not show if you use GPT-4 mode, not online modes. Have you tried that? I look forward to your reply.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So I have to turn off the "Search" plug-in to eliminate ads? I just tried it and it worked, but that greatly diminishes the functionality and benefits of Copilot Pro. Setting aside the additional functionality of Copilot in Office products, ChatGPT is a cleaner, and arguably better, option.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you. Running a GPT model is expensive - ChatGPT and Copilot use the same GPT4 model. That being said - do you say (1. 2, 3) are ads as in the screenshot?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is a screenshot of CoPilot's result vs. ChatGPT. Both have the web-search plugin turned on.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you. What happens if you use an adblocker extension? I do not see those - I wonder if they are localised to the US.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It seems odd that I would need to have an ad blocker on for Copilot. Regardless, thank you so much for the help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Adblocker is always good for other websites too, Jesse. You can always let Microsoft know your thoughts using the feedback icon on the page. Additionally, @Mparakhin on Twitter is very open to suggestions if you have - he is the in charge of copilot products at Microsoft.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had a similar experience even when utilizing Copilot with Workplace Protection enabled, when asking for a book recommendation the ad consumed the entire screen on my mobile device and I had to scroll up to actually see the actual response. The Ads are extremely intrusive and the response from Microsoft here makes me question the legitimacy of their Workplace Protection.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2024 Views 635 Applies to: