Add Section Break after end notes

I have 32 chapters in 32 documents. Each has its own set of end notes. Now it is time to put them all into one document. But I cannot find a way to add a section break after the end notes. It's the darndest thing. Plenty of books have end notes at the end of each chapter.

Help! 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

AFAIK, the methods to which you have been pointed are the only way to do this. The designers really thought that people wanted endnotes at the end of the document.
Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey, Stefan,

Thanks for this. I've looked at it several times. No go. As CyberTaz rightly asserts: 

"The Section Break must be inserted into the main body of the document . . . before the endnotes...it can't be inserted after the endnotes. . . . 

Supress endnotes . . . you need to use it only if you want all endnotes to be at the end of the document . . . 

Am I interpreting what he is saying wrongly? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Appreciate the observation, Charles. Do you suppose they've never seen a book with end notes at the ends of the chapters? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Start with Chapter 32 and insert a Next Page Section Break at the beginning of the document and then before that Section Break, insert Chapter 31 and then insert a Next Page Section Break at the beginning of Chapter 31 and before that Section Break, insert Chapter 30 and so on.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Appreciate the observation, Charles. Do you suppose they've never seen a book with end notes at the ends of the chapters? 

Yes, I'm sure they have. I was referring to having something after endnotes that come at the end of the document. There is the provision for endnotes at the end of sections.

Follow Doug's steps to creatie a new final document.

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh, this sound brilliant! Unfortunately, when it comes to cut and paste, it is not possible to select both the text and the end notes together. Thus, when I do the typical Command+A to select all, then paste it above the section break, the end notes aren't there. When I select just the end notes and paste them, then of course the end note numbering is kaput. When I first cut and paste the text above the section break, then where my end notes begin, I get this thick funky grayed horizontal area about 2 inches deep. Very weird. Anyway, you were kind to give it a try.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you use an IncludeText field that takes the path\filename.docx of the chapter as its argument, the endnotes will also be imported.  After importing each chapter, use CTRL+A to select everything and then use CTRL+SHIFT+F9 to unlink the field code.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The "Suppress endnotes" option is the key here, and that option must be used in conjunction with endnote placement as "End of section."

If you have (for example) four sections and you want the actual endnotes before the very last (= fourth in this example) section, you can suppress the display of endnotes for section 1 and 2, which means that all endnotes will be at the end of section 3. For the fourth section, keep the "Suppress endnotes" option un-selected. The fourth section can be used for the list of sources, or whatever you want there that should be after the endnotes.

Again, my suggestion here is built on the idea that you can change endnote placement to "End of section" and also suppress the display of endnotes for all sections except the one where you want the notes to be visible. Apparently, this was possible in Word 2011 for Mac, and it is still possible in Word 2019/365 for Windows.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think I'm not being clear. There are 32 chapters. There are 32 sets of sources (input as endnotes), one set of end notes at the end of each chapter. (Every chapter has at least two section breaks, some have more; but those have nothing to do with endnotes.)

Yes, to create a file with multiple chapters, I have to use a section break between chapters.  

I am not sure what "suppress end notes" does--is it so that one doesn't have to view the end notes? Are we trying to trick Word into "thinking" the endnotes aren't there? 

I can't imagine why I would want to "suppress" any of the 32 sets of endnotes. 

Now for the mysterious "suppress endnotes" function.

The path in Word for Mac 365 (v 16.29.1) is: 

File > Page Setup > select Microsoft Word, Whole Document, Margins tab. Then one can see the box for "Suppress endnotes." IT IS GRAYED OUT.

Come on, Microsoft. Surely one of your legion can weigh in about why the box is grayed out.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for confirming that the "Suppress endnotes" option is indeed available even in new versions of Word for Mac.

That option will be available if two conditions are met: (1) endnote placement is set to "End of section" and (2) there is a section break between each chapter. 

In other words, "Suppress endnotes" will let you hide endnotes for selected sections. The suppressed/hidden notes will display in the next section for which endnotes are not hidden.

It seems to me like the options mentioned above should do what you want...

An example: For a chapter consisting of two sections, you would want to suppress the endnotes for the first part, so that all endnotes are nicely collected at the end of the chapter. 

Of course, the method by which you generate your list of sources may cause trouble here. Perhaps you are using a third-party product which does not make use of Word sections or Word endnotes at all. Or perhaps the third-party product is making use of Word functionality but some options can't be modified (because of internal settings in the product).

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 5, 2024 Views 2,614 Applies to: