Accessing Outlook.com e-mail in Outlook 2010

I am trying to access my Outlook.com e-mail in Outlook 2010, on my PC. I have set up a new account in 2010. In doing it, I was prompted to Install the Outlook Hotmail Connector, which I did (presumably it was the right one?) 

In the File menu, I clicked Add Account, but I used Auto Account Setup and did not

Click "Manually configure server settings or additional server types". I can send e-mails via Outlook 2010 now, but I cant receive my inbox e-mails from Outlook .com. It just remains in a state of "processing".

What is wrong?

Why can't I receive the e-mails? Should I delete the Outlook 2010 account and start all over again?

Answer
Answer

Dear Ms Patil,

That is all very helpful. Thank you. :)

However, I managed to solve the problem using information quoted elsewhere, which I believe is much more easy to follow (it is Outlook 2010 that I have):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2735989 

I'll quote the relevant sections here, to help anyone else with the same enquiry:

How to configure Outlook to connect to an outlook.com email account

Support for Office 2003 has ended

Microsoft ended support for Office 2003 on April 8, 2014. This change has affected your software updates and security options. Learn what this means for you and how to stay protected.

Summary

On July 31, 2012, the outlook.com domain was added to Microsoft Hotmail. This article explains how to configure an outlook.com email account in Microsoft Outlook.

More information 

You can manage your Outlook.com email account in Microsoft Outlook 2010, Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 or Microsoft Office Outlook 2003. First, install the Outlook Hotmail Connector. Then, manually configure the Outlook Hotmail Connector to connect to your outlook.com email account.

Outlook 2010

To configure an outlook.com email account in Microsoft Outlook 2010, follow these steps:

1.      Install the Outlook Hotmail Connector, (if you have not already installed it), you can install it from the following Microsoft websites:

Outlook 2010 32-bit

Outlook 2010 64-bit

2.      Manually configure your @outlook.com account by following these steps:

1.      In Outlook, click Info on the File menu, and then click Add Account.

2.      Click Manually configure server settings or additional server types, and then click Next.

3.      Click Other, click Microsoft Outlook Hotmail Connector, and then click Next.

4.      Enter your name, email address, and password, and then click OK.

5.      When the confirmation dialog appears, click Finish.

Note: @hotmail.com and @live.com are automatically configured when you use the Outlook Hotmail Connector.

• Microsoft Outlook 2010

Keywords:

• KB2735989

______________________________________________________________________________________________

NB. The only problem I had is that because I had accidentally used the Auto Setup to set up the Outlook 2010 account, and followed the advice that prompted to download & install the Microsoft Outlook Hotmail Connector, I was stuck with the 32bit Connecter, which is what the Auto Setup gave me. My PC is 64bit; NOT 32bit. I didn't find out that there was a 64bit version until reading the above info. In light of that, I started all over again, this time following the above advice. However, I was barred from downloading the 64bit connecter, as I had the 32bit version. It was NOT listed amongst the programmes on my PC. It was in a strange place - a temporary internet file, I think. I deleted it, but it wouldn't delete. I shredded it. That got rid of it, but when I used the above link to download the 64bit connector, I remained barred, for the same reason as previously, even though I had shredded the 32bit version.

Left with no option to download the 64bit connector, I'm using the 32bit one. My computer has become very slow immediately after completing this procedure.

Update: although my computer slowed upon completion of the procedure, it returned to normal within a few hours.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 22, 2024 Views 3,648 Applies to: